Project of the Day

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vrDrew, Mar 8, 2011.

1. vrDrew, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Go to the Android Market, type the word "Disney" in the search box, and see what comes up.

Answer: More than 300 so-called "Apps" - and it appears that precisely one of which is actually an official Disney product.

As for the rest? A fair number of games and "apps" of such doubtful utility and/or entertainment value as to scarcely merit the term. And all of which clearly violate Disney's intellectual property and/or trademarks.

[​IMG]
    Screenshot of a crappy $1.49 "coloring book" App sold in Android Marketplace. Ad a clear example of intellectual property theft.

I'm not going to pretend that every item in Apple's App Store is a masterpiece of originality and software innovation. But at least when I download a Fart App, its not ripping off someone else's property. (And, by the by, at least one of those fart apps is pretty well done..)

Android Marketplace is a sewer. And Google needs to clean it up.

2. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Yeah, from what i've heard the google market place isn't great.

It's one of those situatiosn where the open nature of the platform doesn't help it.

I'm not anti open, i have a linux pc at home and think it's great in the correct situation, just not in every situation.

A lot of my anti apple friends say to me "It's all about android, it's open source." None of them actually know what that means though.

The reason I am interested in seeing what Microsoft does with Windows phone 7 is the closed nature of the platform. It's going to be interesting to see what their ecosytem and user experience will become now with Nokia on board and therfore more incentive for app developers.