iPad Project Safari?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by rkadel42, Sep 22, 2012.

1. rkadel42 macrumors newbie

I had thought (mistakenly) that iOS 6 would allow us to project our iPad displays to an external projector for whatever we wanted to show. For example, during a presentation, I want to be able to show my audience -- via a projector hooked up through VGA -- what I am doing in Safari. Is there still no way to do this? Or is there an app that will allow me to do it?

Thanks!

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Connect an Apple TV to the monitor and use Airplay Mirroring. or perhaps there are projectors that have airplay built in. I'm not sure. Also search for a 30-pin Apple VGA connector. Just a guess.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

iPad has supported mirroring via HDMI for a while... so if you have HDMI on your projector, that's a viable option (you'd need this, of course).

Actually, there's a VGA adapter too.

I recall mirroring my iPad onto my TV almost a year and a half ago, so it's definitely possible!

4. rkadel42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured it out...

Would you believe my 9-year-old figured this out?

1. Hook up Apple TV to the projector (HDMI to VGA if necessary).
    2. Start any app (including Safari) on the iPad
    3. Swipe upward with four fingers on the display to reveal the app switching menu
    4. Swipe the menu to the left to reveal the mini player controls, and tap the AirPlay Mirroring icon.

It even rotates between portrait and landscape view as you turn the iPad. Works with any app, shows the home screen, etc.

Once again, my old Windows habits got me. I was looking for a solution that I thought had to be really complicated, when in fact, it was quite simple. :D