Projector Image Dark

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wilshires1, May 17, 2010.

1. wilshires1 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am a teacher and I've been using my Macbook at school and connecting it to a projector for quite a while with no problems until today. Today I plugged in my projector cord and the image on the projector screen was very dark and the picture was not sharp at all. However, on my Mac screen everything looks good.

I have not tried hooking up my PC to the projector yet to see if it is a projector problem or not. I plan on doing that later. However, what leads me to believe my Mac is at fault is a couple of quirky things my display settings have been up to the past couple of days. I accidentally set a picture as my background image- and set it back, no problem. But, it keeps switching back to the unwanted image at weird times! Sometimes it happens when I turn it off and on, and other times it could happen when I exit and re-enter DVD player. I'm thinking whatever problem caused this may be linked to the projector image issue as well.

I'm thoroughly confused. Please help.

2. pdubak macrumors member

With your projector, try looking for an option that resets settings to factory defaults. Doing that will rule out any problems with your projectors settings causing the dimness.

You then can have a friend/coworker connect their computer to the projector and if the problem continues, that will rule out any problems with your mac causing the dimness.

If the dimness continues it's possible your projector lamp is going out. Like any bulb, they fail over time. You will need to buy a new lamp and replace it.

With the picture switching, only thing I can suggest is check your settings on your computer, you may have it set to switch automatically.

If you work at a school is there a tech person in the school or a help desk that you can call for assistance? The only reason I say this is this is actually what I do for a living and we're a lot better in person than an internet forum.

Good luck.

3. wilshires1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed

I plugged in my school's Dell laptop and it worked fine. So I then tried plugging in my Mac and I guess the thing was jealous of the PC or something because it was working like it had never happened. It was a weird occurance. Never had the problem with the Mac- but it was seriously not wanting to work for anything. Oh well I wish I could report a way I "fixed" it to help others, but unfortunately there's nothing to post :(