Projector + MBP 2012 + Apple TV or Wireless Projection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gusanitoverde, Sep 9, 2014.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Guys any help is greatly appreciated.

I live in a small city. (Only BestBuy here) We are buying a projector and it is pretty nerve wrecking to find good advice on what we are doing. In short:

•*We have a brand new MBP 2012 loaded with a presentation software called Open LP (Not powerpoint) This is to display lyrics and written text.
    •*We are planning to buy a projector and fix it to the ceiling. This projector will be used as an extended desktop (Not mirrored) In order to present through the secondary screen and keep the mac laptop as the primary screen for the management software.
    •*We are hoping to avoid running cables, so we are betting on Wireless technology. Whether the projector can do, or we may need an Apple TV.
    • I have seen projectors fail with MACOS. Not as much as with Windows, but they do fail. Also, I am yet to see that our presenter application will work with the system we get.

So,

Is there any experience using Apple TV on a Projector?

And most importantly, is there any good / best projector for a Mac?

We are looking for InFocus, but their sales support seems not to be savvy. Maybe we should look for another brand...

Thanks for your help.

2. aoaaron macrumors 6502

Although not necessary, the apple TV will help streamline the whole procedure. I'd feel more comfortable using airplay mirroring than any other solution which can be quite fiddly. Also airplay means you can use other Mac devices to push content too such as phones and iPads which can be very advantageous.

3. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Ok, so we chose the model. Infocus IN3138

And we decided to go for an Apple TV for streamline and after Infocus admitted that then wireless tech is not perfect for streaming image.

Yet, two concerns if using Apple TV:
    - Can I link the Apple TV to the MacBook Pro if there is no network?
    - When is all working and fixed how can I avoid for strangers to use the projector if they have apple products? It seems that Apple TV will obey any apple product that enters the room.