Projects: How to find people to work with?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MacNoobGuy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

hey guys, i really like the idea of working with a crew of people via skype. does anyone know how i can go about finding some people?

thanks

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

While searching for a job in programming over the last five months in Boaton, I found dozens of iOS startups with just 2-4 guys looking for another developer. (I turned them all down because none of them were offering over $10/hour.)

Although IDK how a job search usually works. My school has a website we run for the students looking for jobs.

Maybe searching on LinkedIn? IDK, I'm still not really sure what the purpose of that website is...

3. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Forums.. Depends what your ROI is (Return On Invest)..
    Finding normal coders just charge hourly/daily and be done with it. So don't really understand the question.

4. 1458279 Suspended

I've seen a few post up on CL, but one problem that you'll run into is most people want money. A lot of startups don't have huge money and can't pay full market rate.

A skilled iOS dev in the Bay Area averages over $100K, finding someone to give up that much money for a startup that isn't well funded, is going to be hard.

I've had luck in the past, going to colleges and posting there.

5. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

wow, i never realised iOS coders got paid $100k a year in Cali. is this really true? why is it so much?

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Because the cost-of-living there is atrocious. I believe I read that San Francisco is the most expensive city to live in in the U.S.

7. 1458279 Suspended

CL has listings in the $130+ range for iOS / mobile dev.

Few things about Cali:
    The overall tax rate is either the highest or very near the highest.
    The cost of living can KILL you.
    It's where the 'action' is as far as VC/Mobile Dev/ etc...
    It's also where the talent goes to make the bigger money, so it ends up self serving... If the money is here, the talent follows, the big companies go where the talent is.

How many talented iOS devs are in North Dakota?

Companies still like face to face working, they want you to show up in 'the valley' a few times a week or so, and that's an expensive place to live.