Prolonged High Temperatures Bad for Processor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by menthol moose, Jan 14, 2008.

1. menthol moose macrumors regular

I've got a 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo Blackbook. At some points - encoding movies with Handbrake, ripping CD's into Apple Lossless format, ripping movies with MacTheRipper, and some others, the CPU temperature increases up to around 85 C. Will having it at that temperature too long ruin the processor?

2. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

No. The cooling in your laptop is sufficient to keep your processor within its acceptable operating range. Even if it did come close to overheating, the processor is designed to throttle (slow) itself in order to reduce heat output.

3. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

What's ideal temperature for the processor. Its operating parameters as it were.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It's safe up to 212 F.

5. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I fry eggs on my PowerMac's cpu's but the prospect of writhing in agony from a blown coolant line doesn't appeal much to me.

6. cafeCarl macrumors newbie

I had a friend with a first gen Dell XPS and the thing used to idle at 90c. When it would hit full load it would just pass 100. Although 80c is high, they are made to work at about that temperature. Now if my desktop ever went over 40c I would be concerned...