Prolonging Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by noodlz1472, Feb 26, 2009.

1. noodlz1472 macrumors member

Hi again,

I recently read that some people using laptops remove their battery while the computer is in use and power their laptop simple by plugging it into a wall socket. Accordingly, they only use their battery when they need their laptop to be truly portable. I'm assuming this is safe for macs as well? Any further advice you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

macbook batteries have a smart-chip inside them to stop overcharging.

not to mention in order to achieve maximum processing power, battery needs to be present.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It's a $100 replaceable battery. I'd just use it anyway I want.
    By the way, if you have an Al-MB, running it without the battery (ac only) will significantly lower the performance.

4. Hakkera macrumors member

You performance would go down hill like crazy, if it's such a big deal to you, maybe pick up an extra battery or two, but I wouldn't bother messing about with taking the battery out every time you want to move it around with the charger.

Heck, it puts a gaping great hole in your mac. I guess it makes it lighter though...

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Don't remove the battery while running on AC power.

At least with the Unibody models, the computer will automatically underclock the CPU cores down to 1.0ghz to prevent you're needing more than the 60W than the AC adapter can provide.

Just leave it plugged in, and make sure the drain/recharge it once a month, at minimum.

6. noodlz1472 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I was hesitant to even do this, but wanted to get your thoughts. I appreciate it and will leave the battery where it belongs - inside my computer!