Promise Pegasus R6 - 18TB (Errors!)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alienatf, Nov 11, 2011.

1. alienatf macrumors member

Hi everyone.

I've installed 6x3TB drives into my promise r6.
    Created Raid-0 Array (18TB) ans start use it.

And i've got errors: when array got 10tb data size it's dissapeared with all data.

Same thing with Raid-1,Raid-5 arrays when REAL data size somes to 10tb (raid-1 - 5tb, raid5 - 3.3tb)

Anybody have for that thing?

2. reranes macrumors newbie

Hi alienatf,

i have the same problem with my Pegasus R6 with 6x3TB WesternDigital Green in Raid 0.
    At my System the crash enters the 2nd time at 13TB filling. All data is gone.

Have you found help?

3. reranes macrumors newbie

... and here is the Feeback form the Promise-Support:

"We do not support 3 TB disks."

4. Cecco macrumors member

That is is quite disappointing for a device of that price level. Even the Inxtron Hydra systems (frankly a different league, no TB, only 4 bays, max. 200 MB/s) has support for 3 TB drives.

Lets hope it is only a driver issue and Promise will add 3 TB drive support with a firmware update.

Otherwise it will be a big let down.

5. uvitor macrumors member

Did you fellows updated the firmware? Any lucky? I'm on the same boat but i installed 6x 4tb hitachi and it's gone after 14tb or something.

6. Mapp1122 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I've always wondered something. What does one do with 18tb of storage? I can barely fill 180gb, let alone one hundred times that.

7. uvitor macrumors member

1100 blurays rips filling my iTunes library up.

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I'm not speaking for others, but personal use and work/professional use are completely different.

9. Mapp1122 macrumors newbie

Well, clearly my needs are different than a software developer, or someone who works in film editing, but even professionally, what does one fill 18,000GB of space with? Millions of Gifs of dancing cats?

10. John Kotches macrumors 6502

it was mentioned earlier, 1100 Blu Ray rips. At 10GB each they would consume 11TB of storage.

I'm assuming these aren't full bandwidth rips, you'd need more storage for that.

11. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

When your camera can record at about 3gigs per minute, you can fill that pretty quickly. I consider 18TB as temporary online storage.

12. uvitor macrumors member

I'm testing right now the 6x 3tb setup. Copying 15tb of data and see if it handles that. I tried before 4x 4tb and 2x 3tb and the volume disapeeared a month later, i suppose it's because the mix that i did with different sizes. All Hitachi.

13. bergert macrumors regular

Yes, my R6 is full too - if they don't come out with bigger disks I buy the 6x1TB and upgrade it myself. Try to use the AJA tool to to create large new files.

<BACKGROUND>PROMISE has said so far, that disks larger 2TB are not supported- but the ReadMe of the firmware upgrade lists "disks with block size > 512" as a new feature. As you may know, all disks 3TB and larger have 4KB block size.</BACKGROUND>

14. John Kotches macrumors 6502

they are probably using a 32 bit un signed integer for the block data.

this would give you 16TB of addressable blocks. 2TB x6 fits within the addressable range. 3TB x 6 doesn't.

15. bergert macrumors regular

32bit - or some other limit ?

but the loss of data was reported at crossing the 12TB limit; i.e. the current capacity (6x2TB). A RAID-5 will give you about 5x3=15TB; and RAID-6 only 12TB -> both well below the 32bit threshold ?

just educated guesses.

16. uvitor macrumors member

Right now it's copying over 16,3 TB of data and nothing wrong happened. After 15 minutes i came here to tell the result of that last copying action.

17. uvitor, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

uvitor macrumors member

Good news:
    I maxed out the 18tb Volume with 17,9 TB of data and so far so good. I don't wanna be too optimist and will do further tests.
    Just to remember you, my setup right now has 6x 3TB hitachi 7200rpm drives.
    Later this month i will have 6x 4TB drives to do the same test i'm doing now.
    Fingers crossed.
    See you.

18. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Don't confuse usable blocks with what the raid controller has to address. The controller has to access all the blocks for distributed parity.

19. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

does it work with 6x 4TB drives ? What hard drives did you use ?

20. bergert macrumors regular

R6-18TB (6x3TB) and 24TB (6x4TB) for sale

Sweet, Google dug this up:
    http://www.comtecedv.de/presta/category.php?id_category=198

I am not sure if these are authorized by PROMISE, but judging from the price (19% VAT included) I would guess they are - IMHO if they pull the original 1TB disks it would have to cost more ?

Interesting the prices ... the 18Tb costs hardly more than the 12TB; really a no-brainer decision. I hope we can expect these on apple-store soon.

Disclaimer: I do no know this company in Germany; have not seen/used them before.

21. uvitor macrumors member

I'm using 6x 4TB right now and no issues so far.
    Fingers crossed.
    All 6 HDs are identical Hitachi 7200rpm.

22. carldr macrumors newbie

carldr

uvitor,

Have you had any problems with your 6x4TB yet?

Carl.

23. uvitor macrumors member

Not yet. Thank god. Eheheh

24. bergert macrumors regular

Got a 16TB volume mounted

After these encouraging news; I bought a second R6 to experiment. It came with the new Deskstar 1TB disks which have a single platter and 4k sectors. Strangely, the new R6 did not have the March firmware, even though it was purchased in August and the 1TB disks were manufactured in June (the date is printed on each Hitachi disk). The PROMISE firmware upgrade is REQUIRED to use use disks with 4K sectors (like 4TB). Only 1 and 2TB disks can operate in 512 byte/sector emulation mode.

To be on the safe side I installed Ultrastar 7k4000 disks; and have more than 10TB data loaded already. Works like a charm, only the 4TB disks consume twice as much. The Fan on the 6x2TB unit is 1100rpm (minimum speed) and hardly noticeable, on the 6x4TB unit it is 2200rpm and noticeable. Also the controller has +2C more according to the util (the controller is on top, so it collects the heat rising from the disk. I can run the 6x2TB without air-conditioning, but would not do for the 6x4TB if room temp exceeds 25C (77F). The case is noticeable warm too. Worst, the 4TB disks are really noisy - not just spinning louder; but also during access. I had this noise level last on my Apple2 using a 80MB MICROPOLIS disk. The disk drive resonates low-frequency noise when the disk is stepping between tracks.

I got my first 6x2TB in 9/2011 and so far no issues. Twice a disk (the same) did not spin up (and in this case the volume is not mounted); this is normal of any good RAID. If it would mount it would imply data was modified and you had to rebuild the broken disk. I did power off; and power-on and every time the disk #3 came back on-line. And because the RAID does not mount by default, this is the end of it. If the disk were really bad, one had to force the volume (not the disk!) to mount - IMHO this O.K., but should be possible from the GUI (is only possible from the command line). The new 6x4TB R6-unit is daisy chained to the first one. I do power-down every night; and it gets used almost every single day because it also hosts my iTunes library.

Speed (tested using AJA System Test) on the 6x4TB configured in RAID6 (=16TB useable) is 520MB/sec write and 580MB/sec read (same as original disks). A Finder copy of 32GB takes less than 2 minutes. Rebuild took 22 hrs - exactly double the time of the 7K2000 disks; expected as the speed of SATA and controller is the same - and disks are twice as large. RAID6 means 2 disks can fail without loosing data. The rebuild (22hrs) puts a lot more load on the R6 than I do during normal use; so this is a good choice IMHO.

I configured 4K sectors on the RAID-6; but the Promise tool would also accept it with 512 bytes = IMHO this is a bug because with 512 the software cannot address all the space; this is the reason that we have 4K sectors.

All in all, I would still recommend it if you need the space.

25. Cecco macrumors member

May I ask, what temperature according to the Promise utility you see for controller and backplane for a given room temperature for both your 2TB and 4TB model?