Promise Technology Unveils New 'Apollo Cloud 2 Duo' Personal Cloud Storage Device

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Promise Technology today announced the launch of its second-generation personal cloud device, the Apollo Cloud 2 Duo. Like the company's original Apollo product, the Cloud 2 Duo is designed to provide a network-attached storage solution to families and small businesses who want the cloud's ease of use with the security of local storage.

The Cloud 2 Duo offers double the storage capacity of the original Apollo models at 8TB, but continues to feature a sleek, compact white housing that blends easily with any decor.

[​IMG]

Promise Technology has designed its Apollo Cloud products to be simple and easy to use right out of the box, so customers do not need to have networking experience to get their personal clouds up and running. It plugs in and then is accessed through Mac and iOS apps, which are also being refreshed with new functionality.

The Apollo Cloud 2 Duo does not require monthly fees because it's a cloud storage solution connected to a home WiFi setup. With the Cloud 2 Duo, all of a user's files are accessible on any device, but they're safe because they're stored on a local device rather than a remote server.

Up to 40 people can use a single Apollo Cloud 2 Duo, and with 8TB of space, there's enough for the whole family to store all of their files in the cloud. Files stored on the Cloud 2 Duo stay synced and can be shared with others just like files hosted on a third-party cloud service like Dropbox.
    Inside the Cloud 2 Duo, there's a 1GHz Marvell Dual Core processor and the aforementioned 8TB hard drive. The hard drive can be configured in RAID0 for more storage space or RAID1 for 4TB of storage and a mirrored backup. Promise Technology has also built in support for hot swappable hard drives so storage can be switched out in just a few minutes.

Apollo Cloud 2 Duo features include quick camera roll backup for your iPhone or iPad, photo organization with location and facial recognition support, and support for Time Machine for Mac backups.

Promise Technology is selling the Apollo Cloud 2 Duo for $449, and it is available for purchase starting today on the Promise website.

Article Link: Promise Technology Unveils New 'Apollo Cloud 2 Duo' Personal Cloud Storage Device

2. mac666er macrumors regular

If storage can be configured in RAID0 or RAID1 then it contains TWO hard drives, not one. Just confirmed it on the website. RAID1 is a hardware feature that takes two hard drives and mirrors them. RAID0 takes the two hard drives and writes/reads to both of them at the same time to increase throughput speed.

RAID is a better solution than a single hard drive as it gives you more options depending on your needs.

3. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

4. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

According to Promise Technology I've been using the cloud since the late 80's.
    [​IMG]

5. viettanium macrumors 6502

6. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Is it possible to get 2 of these, put them in two different locations, and have them sync with each other?

7. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Hard drives? No Flash?

Will it be available in Amazon India?

8. justin722 macrumors newbie

Yes!
    "Apollo Cloud Mirroring allows you to sync all of your data and configurations to another Apollo in a different location anywhere in the world."

9. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Love my 716+II. And it cost less than this. (Well drives are not included so that may be their higher price.) And does so much more. But maybe they don't want to pay macrumors for advertisement articles.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2017 ---
    Doesn't even show a OS for it. Just scan a QR code for setup and that's it.

Synology OS is great and easy to use. And they have been on top of security since the ransom ware thing years ago. Not seeing any mention of how to setup security for this on their site.

10. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

I know Intel isn't using the name anymore but Core 2 Duo is the name of a dual core processor. How long until Intel sues them regarding the trademark infringement on the name.

11. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

So am required to use their Cloud backup if I want this unit backed up offsite? I need to look into the cost for that. Otherwise maybe a Synology + Backblaze B2.

12. shansoft macrumors 6502

Powerful, cheaper, and better... in every way possible.....

13. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

Flash is still not economical for large data archiving, especially accounting for redundancy and backups.
    Why stop there? Better to get a real home server that can be rackmounted.

14. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Synology offer rack mounts servers also ;)

Synology has cheaper models that still do a ton and has same OS. The j series is cheap models that are perfect for home clouds.
    Not dogging the product. It looks like a great thing for people without any or little tech knowledge. But what's the security on this? They also have the claim of first remote time machine backups but that doesn't take much on other "home clouds" that have vpn support.

Just not sure why some products get basically front page and others never get spotlight when they have barely anything to do with Apple.

I'm a fan of synology but QNAP has some great stuff too on home user ease of use NASs.

15. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I don't know as much about Synology as others on this site, apparently, but I just priced out a similar solution on Amazon with the Synology DS216+II NAS DiskStation (2 bay 1GB DDR3), Diskless unit and a pair of 4TB Seagate NAS drives and it is more expensive to go with Synology. ($469.00 plus Tax) Now that may not be any kind of bad thing based on how good, on average, the reviews are for the Synology hardware. On the other hand, for what I'm looking for--a replacement for my aging Time Capsule that is easy for my family to use--this looks really nice. Easy to setup and easy to use. I am especially interested in the ability to save backups over the Internet when I'm out of town. Personally, I don't care much about streaming video content or Torrents or the like. Just simple, easy to use, backups.

I may give this a go once it's released next month.

16. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Check out the j models then. The + models are little more than needed for just backups. And some of those j models still have decent capabilities. You can try out their OS on their site.

17. expiredyogurt macrumors regular

expiredyogurt

so technically this is just a NAS server dumb down for people to easily use? I've been entertaining the idea of making a nas server for myself now but hmhmmhhm

18. pdsubbu macrumors newbie

Apollo Cloud 2 Duo - 8TB - 1GHz Marvell Dual Core processor - $449

Are you kidding me? Amazing deal!

19. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

Fair enough but to be specific, to me they always seem under powered (both CPU and RAM) for the price, especially if you do things like transcoding for a media server rather than just a file server. I guess the one perk is they can do an AFP share for Time Machine probably, right?

20. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Yes it works perfectly as time machine. I have share made with quota just for time machine.
    To transcode yea you will have to research little bit on right model. And plex is testing hardware transcoding right now which helps a ton if your model has right CPU. Their own video server app does hardware transcoding on some models too and their app is on a lot of platforms.
    I researched some before buying but once I got mine and learned more and more on it I was little upset that I didn't get one model up but still am extremely happy with mine.

21. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

Good to hear. I'll stick with my 12 disk 2U running Windows 10 for now but once they can handle Plex transcoding well enough they may be a better/lower power option. Also not sure if they can handle dedicated LAN connections for VMs.

22. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

This right here might be the deal sincher for me. I have a NAS box that I use to serve up media, but I would love to have a dedicated back up solution that I can sync offsite. One at family members house and one at my house. This would be perfect for as a back up only which is what I am looking for.

23. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Promise are generally really over priced. Their Thunderbolt Pegasus units cost an arm and a leg, and sound like a jet engine anywhere near your host machine. So you have yo buy optical cables to store well away from your workstation (oh, and there aren't any TB3 [thus new USB-C connector] optical cables available yet, either.)

Shame their Thunderbolt 3 ones only get enen more expensive. Only for the super-pros, yet nothing for the above average general user. Lacie are also only offering very big and massively expensive TB3 units.

So WTF, is going on with affordable TB3 storage providers?? Clearly the Intel removal of licensing has yet to hit, but no signs of things improving anytime soon (as in next 12 MONTHS!).

24. OverSpun macrumors 65816

OverSpun

I know that this is a fairly old thread but there aren't any newer threads regarding The Apollo Cloud 2 Duo because I have been looking at a Synology dual bay NAS until I ran into this on Amazon and started doing some research and it looks good. I presume that there are a handful of MR members that have been using the Apollo Cloud since this thread was created.

$379 on Amazon is definitely a lot better than what Apollo costed last year. Any new reviews on this?