Promo Codes/Coupons - how do they work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BullMooseFilms, Aug 6, 2008.

1. BullMooseFilms macrumors regular

I'm already eligible for the education store discount, but are these promo codes/coupons good for additional discounts? I see the thread of people in need but before I ask for one I thought I'd better find out about how it works etc, are they for discounts or additional items thrown in when you purchase etc?

2. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

What most people mean by promo code is a code that is entered at the end of the checkout process to yield, say, $30 off a purchase of $300 or more (that seems to be typical for apple).

Apple's get-this-free promos (printers, ipod, etc) are usually rebates so you have to pony up the money first.

A lot of folks don't realize that the refub and clearance sections of the store offer savings 10x that of a promo code (in other words, a minimum of $300 off if you bundle properly).

4. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I have been saying this for a while now...i keep asking the same question.. What promo codes are out there. I usally get..."oh they are out there.trust me"..but thats it haha.

I still believe there are no promo codes for random discounts off merchandise. All of these free ipods/printers etc...those arn't promo codes. I tried searching the thread of promo codes..and it just was alot of people asking for promo codes and noone responding to them.

it is very frustrating.

5. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

I figured it might just be a small additional discount, but since I'm not planning to get a refurb, then every bit helps.

I saw that most of the posters put their emails in the post, so I assumed the people with the codes just emailed them directly?

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's unlikely. Most of those askers are in the "I gotta have one now" mode and it shows in their posts. If you put yourself in the shoes of a code gifter, would you send one to them?

UK mac fans get tonnes of codes via email by signing up for promo emails on the UK site. The rate has been in the neighbourhood of one per month.

7. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it reminds me of Bill Murray in "What About Bob?"

GimmeGimmeGimme - I neeed I neeeed

:D

8. spitefire macrumors newbie

So it's like a personal thing? You have to be given codes that someone personally has that they can give away? I had no idea. I thought they were available to everyone and I just didn't know any.

9. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it seems like its something that registered mac owners/users get to entice them back to the apple store for more stuff, but I guess they're not tied to that person or else you couldn't gift them out...