Prompt for OS at startup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h1r0ll3r, Jun 11, 2010.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I just installed Boot Camp on my 15' MBP. I'm not all too thrilled that the MBP will boot up the default OS so I'm wondering if there any option/preference that will allow me to select which OS to boot every time I start up my computer? On my windows PC I had XP and 7 installed and I had the option to select which one to boot whenever I started up my laptop. Is there anything like this for a Mac? I checked the Boot Camp control panel and I didn't see any settings in there for this. Any one have any ideas for this?

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Hold either C or Z during bootup (can't remember which one it is) and it will give you the option to select which OS you want to boot into.

3. trondah macrumors 6502

There's also Bootpicker and rEFIt if you want more functionality.

4. h1r0ll3r thread starter macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Thanks. I know that pressing "Option" when starting up the laptop will allow me to select which OS to boot. I was wondering if there was some setting that would allow me to get to this point without having to press anything. Basically, i just wanted to turn the MBP on and wait for the prompt screen to show up automatically without me having to do/press anything. There anything like this that you're aware of?

Thanks.

5. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I thought I remembered finding a way to do this on Google a while back but my quick searching just now yielded nothing. I know you can set the computer to boot into Windows or OSX automatically. But I'm not sure about having the boot option screen show up automatically.

Good luck!

6. patrixl macrumors regular

EDIT: I missed your desire to have a choice "every time" it boots up. The below won't do that. oops

System Preferences -> Startup Drive

Or in Windows, control panel -> startup drive (appears oncey ou've installed the Bootcamp drivers)

7. trondah macrumors 6502

Read my post, I listed two alternatives that will do exactly what you are asking.