Prompted to reselect data plan for iPhone 2G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IverTHPS2, Jun 16, 2010.

1. IverTHPS2 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to use my iPhone 3GS SIM card with my original iPhone 2G but, when I put the card into the 2G, my phone acts as if it has never been used. I'm given the "USB cable and iTunes" screen on the phone, and iTunes tries to take me through the activation process.

This is all fine and dandy, but I don't really know what to do when it gets to the point where I have to reselect a data plan. I'm given only one data plan option, $20 per month, which is not the $30/month unlimited 3G plan to which I'm accustomed. I also am told to select a text message plan, which leads me to believe that I might possibly be charged twice, as if this is an alternate line.

Is this process normal, or has everyone else who switched from their 3G/3GS to an older phone in anticipation for the iPhone 4 encountered a more seamless transition?

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

When you get the screen your getting and you do the activation process with your old phone and your new sim, your IMEI # will change on AT&T's server. There might be problems when you get your iPhone 4... Call 611

3. mb2008 macrumors regular

ugh, this brings back bad memories. I actually bricked my 2g when I swapped the sim with my 3G.

The $20 plan for the 2g is unlimited, and ATT should actually change your plan to $20 if you activate this. But if you are trying to keep your data plan unlimited, I personally wouldn't risk this. I would just go phoneless for a week.

4. bmonster macrumors member

Actually, this is what I did as well and it didn't cause a problem. I did it on June 14 before the preorder (sold my 3g) so when I went to activate my 2G the plan stuff popped up so I went to an AT&T store to ask to make sure nothing would happen with my upgrade eligibility/ability to keep unlimited data and the person there assured me it wouldn't. I selected the $20 unlimited + 200 texts and 1500 extra texts and when I went to preorder the next day, the option was still there to do unlimited for $30 for the iPhone 4.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm tired. ;)

5. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I am still using my 2G with unlimited edge data and I was able to select the unlimited 3G data plan with my iP4.