Prompts for admin password at startup with new Windows/Bootcamp install??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Cowinacape, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Cowinacape macrumors regular

Well I managed to get Windows XP installed, via boot camp ( on a MacPro running 10.4.10, with all the firmware up to date).

The install went ok, but now when Windows starts up, I come to a log in screen, for the administrator account, and it prompts me for a password? To this point all I have done is installed Windows, and NOT made any accounts, but I am still being asked for a password. And that is as far as I can get with my Window experience on my Mac.

Any ideas out there how to get around this glitch/feature? So I can get into Windows?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    Dan

---P.S. I tried this same question on Apples discussion's forums, but for what ever reason, I am getting a ton of flackyness with either Firefox, or Safari over there, and just gave up on it.

2. Cowinacape thread starter macrumors regular

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Try this. I've never tried it on a Mac or on a dual-boot machine, but seeing as how you have to select the windows partition anyway, this should work. Blanking the password (put a single * when it prompts you for a new password) worked for me on an old Win2k machine.

Let me know.

4. Cowinacape thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up, didn't work for me, but it was worth a shot, I will probably just try reformatting the Windows partition, and do a fresh re-install and see what happens this time.

5. Cowinacape thread starter macrumors regular

For anyone following along at home, a full re-install (including reformatting the C partition seems to of cured what ever the ail was, go figure.

6. OneSeventeen macrumors newbie

For me, I installed XP via bootcamp on my MacBook, then logged in as the initial user and removed them from the Admin group (I'm a firm believer that a "user" is not an "admin"), then logged out.

I was then presented with the logon screen asking for my password for the Administrator account.

After searching the web and getting ready to reinstall, I realized all I had to do was use my OS X Admin password, and all is well. :) (I used the password for the first Admin account on my MacBook, which happens to also be the password used to install XP via bootcamp)

I can now log in as Admin, and don't have to format and reinstall.

Hope this saves someone else the trouble.

7. echu416 macrumors newbie

i have the same problem, but with a normal pc, anyone have a clue!?