Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Considering there are two articles, one on the front page and one on page 2, about the 8GB 5C, you're not really sharing any new proof. ;) More importantly, I don't know that anyone disputed getting rid of the 16GB but there are plenty of people who believe it should have been done away with already.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i don't see why they would take it away, they could always make a 128gb iPhone and tack on another 100 increase in price. then get a larger rake for their profits.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not everyone has the same space requirements.

For those installing next to nothing, I would say you are right. But I am not sure most people pick the 8GB due to space requirements. I think upfront cost is the driving factor and they simply deal with the inability to install more than 2.5 apps at a time (yes, obvious exaggeration at that last point there.)

When a years worth of backed up texts can span multiple gigs in size, one must question how useful an 8GB iPhone with a usable storage capacity of maybe 6.5GB, to the average user.

617aircav

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
For those installing next to nothing, I would say you are right. But I am not sure most people pick the 8GB due to space requirements. I think upfront cost is the driving factor and they simply deal with the inability to install more than 2.5 apps at a time (yes, obvious exaggeration at that last point there.)

When a years worth of backed up texts can span multiple gigs in size, one must question how useful an 8GB iPhone with a usable storage capacity of maybe 6.5GB, to the average user.

Why does one keep a year of text?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

The US Apple Retail Store is selling the 8gb 4s. The US carriers that provide subsidized iPhones are "selling" the 8gb 4s for $0.00. The 16gb 5c took over the "last year's model" slot from the 5. An 8gb 5c would take over the 4s slot at the carriers. In other words, "The latest model, at a Galaxy 3 price."

Agreed, there are plenty of people for whom price is the #1 factor - "iPhone, at the lowest price possible." First-time smart phone owners these days are the late-adopters - many barely used the features of their feature phones. "What's a GB?" If they get hooked, they'll eventually upgrade to a larger capacity. If they don't get hooked, it's not a limitation (I can't imagine my feature phone-using father downloading much more than a few Blackjack apps - he hasn't gone much past that on his PCs, and he's been using those since around 1984).

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why does one keep a year of text?

Because they don't sit an delete (micromanage) everything I presume. Plenty of my coworkers actually use text as means of communication for work too. Pretty handy to be able to go back and look something up from a month, or two, a ten ago. Just one example, I am sure there are more.

But I was just using that as an example of how/why 8GB isn;t what it used to be. If you are sending pictures or video regularly it takes far, FAR less than a year to rack of gigs of storage space.

Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I knew apple would keep it in the first place. But I have an 8 gig iphone 4 and it's not enough space but people who want an iPhone and don't want to pay will get it.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
what is the true cost to apple to make an 8GB and 16GB? seems like it would only be a few dollars.

617aircav

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Because they don't sit an delete (micromanage) everything I presume. Plenty of my coworkers actually use text as means of communication for work too. Pretty handy to be able to go back and look something up from a month, or two, a ten ago. Just one example, I am sure there are more.

But I was just using that as an example of how/why 8GB isn;t what it used to be. If you are sending pictures or video regularly it takes far, FAR less than a year to rack of gigs of storage space.

My point is such people wont buy the 8gb. My sister will do well with an 8gb phone.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I have an 8GB iPhone 4 issued to me by my employer. I've already upgraded the software to iOS 7.1.

It works fine for its intended purpose.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My point is such people wont buy the 8gb. My sister will do well with an 8gb phone.

That's fine.

My point was that cost is the driving sale of these, not "storage needs of the individual", which is who I was responding to.

I am willing to bet that there are more people out there wishing that they had more than 8GB storage on their phones than those saying that this is the perfect size media for them, regardless of whether they can afford it or not.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
in my opinion Apple should make 32gb the base model with 64 and 128 gb optional upgrades. HOWEVER, keep the current pricing the same. That would make the 32 gb $200 w/ 2 year contract.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
$950 iphone won't sell well.

My unlocked in subsidized 5s 64gig with apple leather case and extra charger was pretty close to that. Regardless I thought apple was trying to hold themselves out there as a premium hardware maker. 8Gb isn't premium anything these days. I had an 8gig windows mobile phone in 2009. FIVE YEARS AGO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.