Proof Mac OS X is better than any other Operating System

Discussion in 'macOS' started by damson34, Aug 7, 2010.

1. damson34 macrumors 6502

This was with every app open on my Mac. Switching between apps was instantaneous still and some apps would still open with less than a bounce. This was on a 2.26 13inch Macbook Pro with 2gbs ram.

Attached Files:

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

You should get More ram there are heavy pageouts :D:D:D

4. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Derek, do you want evidence that Tiger is better than Leopard?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wait... why is this "proof" of anything other than someone can open a lot of applications at once?

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Everyone already knows this. OS X is the Gold Standard of consumer OSes. That's why we hear of Microsoft trying to be more "Mac-like" with each successive release of Windows. Except they never quite pull it off.

7. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

The page out are very high, you would notice a little bit of slowdown if you were to use one of the applications that been moved to the swap file, but probably not much.

Mac OS does a good job of keeping important stuff in the ram and not shoving it all to the swap file like windows usually does, as soon as something else needs the ram.

Also YAY for the Avril wallpaper!

8. damson34 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's proof of how good OS X in general is of memory management.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

But your thread title says "Proof Mac OSx is better than any other Operating System", which is nowhere near the same thing.

And what about secure/failsafe operating systems that handle hundreds of users with duplicate disks, duplicate processors, etc?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL. You haven't proven anything. Simply opening a lot of apps is not a test of memory management. Neither is it a valid test of any OS. One memory-intensive application can put more demand on a system than all the apps you have open. If you want to try to "prove" anything about operating systems, you must first understand how they work and what makes one better than another. Your post doesn't illustrate a knowledge of either.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

I would disagree - Best OS ever was OS/2 by IBM. The lack of applications available is what finally made me switch.... but IBM had nailed what an OS should do.

It was Object Oriented. Meaning that they took the metaphor of the Desktop and treated it as a real Desktop. Everything on it was an "Object" and had properties. Everything had right-click properties that included everything OS X, and more. By right clicking any object I could choose to make it a "template", for example (what Apple calls a stationery pad).

You create a series of printer icons that each had the properties you might need for different jobs, from the same printer. You would then drag'n-drop a document to whatever printer icon was appropriate. So, if you had a printer icon setup for printing photos at 4x5 on glossy paper, then if you had a photo (or a bunch) you would drag it/them to the photo printer icon and it would bang out the photos. Didn't matter what application you used to create the images, and you didn't have to open any application - printing was handled entirely by the printer icon. I think you can do something similar with OS X but it's not nearly as easy as right clicking a printer icon and setting up all the print settings and saving as a new printer.

Every single element of the GUI was customizable. Each individual icon could have its own font, size, font colour. Each folder could be customized. Not just the background colour, but the title bar, the scroll bars, the thin line around the window, the buttons, the background colour behind the buttons, the text (colour and font) etc etc.... each window had something like 15 or 20 elements that could be tweaked. You could a bunch of windows, of each window could be unique. Depends on how much time you had on your hands. All these elements were changed by using D'nD.... you opened a font palette (you would create a number of font palettes, each one with whatever fonts you wanted in that collection) and dragged the font. You opened the colour palette (see font palette) and dragged colours. Good Heavens I wasted more time making my desktop pretty than doing work some days!!

And finally (though this is not a complete list!) The Work Place Folder was the single most useful element - and I dearly wish OS X had the equivalent. It is the one thing I miss most. A Work Place Folder was a special folder.... Anything you dragged into it became an shortcut (Alias). You couldn't actually 'move' or 'copy' anything to it. What you would do is drag all the applications, documents, folders, remote folders, printers, font palettes and colour palettes, etc etc that you would need for a project. You open the Work Place Folder, and then you open the applications, foldes, palettes - whatever - and start your work. When you wanted to start something else or go home for the day.... you closed the WP Folder and all the apps, folders, documents, etc in that folder would close too. When you re-opened the WP folder everything that had been open previously would re-open as well and put themselves where you had left them. You would set up a WP Folder for each project and as you opened and closed them your work space would be restored. What a great concept. No more fiddling with the Finder going to the left when I'm in Photoshop and then moving to the bottom when I'm in Pages...

Sigh.... Maybe it's time I installed OS/2 (now eComstation) in VMWare? Just to waste some more time customizing it....

Incidentally, Apple and IBM collaborated on, IIRC, something called Taligent - which was supposed to be a joint project on an Object Oriented OS. Some elements made their way into OS X, but IBM really pushed it hard.

So - that's my vote.

12. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

I agree, the original poster is crazy think that is proof of anything

13. Xavier macrumors 68020

Yes but that data doesn't really say anything. Minimize the window and post a new picture of your desktop for better results

14. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yah OSX has awesome multitasking. Seriously though so does Redhat, Debian, and just about any *ix operating system. OSX is just simply the best and most polished of them all. Opening every application on a Windows machine of comparable hardware would bring it to it's knees.

15. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

If it's so good, why is there a disclaimer that restricts its use in any critical operating environment? It clearly doesn't conform to the standards for fail-safe operations, not until you do other things to it that Apple doesn't support.

16. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Except if you actually started to use a few of them it would probably begin to struggle...

17. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I didn't think it was proof of anything, I just thought it was amazing how all the apps were running.

18. mac2x macrumors 65816

I was more interested in the sheer length and small size of his dock. :D

19. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

LOL, yeah. I think even having the Magnification on the maximum setting wouldn't make much of a difference :D