Proof of Higher Education At Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Burning Radio, May 28, 2009.

1. Burning Radio macrumors regular

So I'm buying my Macbook soon and I was wondering if I need any sort of proof of being a student at a college to get the discount. I'm going to be a Freshmen and I don't have an ID yet. Do I just bring in a letter that they've sent me or maybe a postcard confirming my Placement test and orientation dates? (or do they even check? :p)

2. kyleaa macrumors regular

I believe that they asked me for ID when I went in store - if you order online they definitely don't ask for anything. I would try calling the Apple Store in advance and ask if a letter would be sufficient.

If your school is local you could also try calling to see if you could get your ID card early. Way back when I was a freshman I was able to pick up my ID 2 months before orientation (when they typically give them out) just because I wanted to.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Bring your acceptance letter (even if you're not going to that particular school)

4. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Yeah an acceptance letter or any offer of admission is generally enough proof to get you the educational discount in the US.

5. Burning Radio thread starter macrumors regular

Thank God I still have that! lol.

Now to the epic decision......now, or wait a week. :confused: lol.

(Don't worry, I've read all the other posts, I'm not asking a question that's been answered millions of times on here.)

6. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

For anyone else wondering: I've found a good way to do it is to log into your school's online profile manager (most schools have this) and as long as you can show residence information, they seem to be okay with that.

7. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

It's more like 2 weeks, but just wait. You might regret it if you don't wait and the mb/mbp gets updated. 2 weeks isn't a lot.

8. yoyomaster macrumors regular

yep that'll work.

I agree, if you don't need it now you might as well wait just to see and not much is lost.

9. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Once they had me just log into my student account on the school's website. Was enough proof for them.

Another time last year at Best Buy I just told them I was a student and they gave me the discount no other questions asked...no id, no letter, no nothing. I had the proof with me, but was nice to not even have to worry about it when finally making the purchase.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you've set up your school's e-mail account and use that as your e-mail address when they ask you, that should be enough also.