Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Apple must have implemented the simple mode in order for the car to switch over to it in the first place. All I'd like is an option to disable it when I have a passenger.
I mean if your radio is off then it won't play, right? Always works for me. Your device won't initiate your car's radio if it's off.

You could also turn off the music app. Generally if it's not running in the background, CarPlay won't pick it up automatically.

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2022
I think it's obvious that no Apple VP uses Carplay. The fact that Carplay auto-plays blaring music immediately once hooked in (music that wasn't playing before) is beyond annoying. It does this every time.

I read somewhere that it is because of some legacy iPod protocol buried in Apple's auto protocol; however, are you saying Apple can't ignore the command on the iPhone side?
Mine does this too - because I usually have the music blasting when I get done driving. Simple solution is to turn down the volume before turning the car off. Unless your vehicle has a setting that will set the volume to a certain level when the car is turned back on.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I read somewhere that it is because of some legacy iPod protocol buried in Apple's auto protocol; however, are you saying Apple can't ignore the command on the iPhone side?
I don't know how it relates to CarPlay but the issue of auto-playing a plugged in iPhone or iPod existed before CarPlay came out.

My experience with rental cars and my iPhone (connected via USB) back then was that, upon connecting the device, some would start playing the first song in my Music library (the most common occurrence), some didn't start playing anything and some (if I remember correctly) would start the last song I had playing.

So it seems obvious that the difference was in the code running on the vehicle. My guess is the same behavior would have been observed if I had plugged in a USB stick with mp3s on it.

Reactions: DJLC

blinker

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
I think it's obvious that no Apple VP uses Carplay. The fact that Carplay auto-plays blaring music immediately once hooked in (music that wasn't playing before) is beyond annoying. It does this every time.
It certainly doesn't do that in my 2018 Volvo.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I mean if your radio is off then it won't play, right? Always works for me. Your device won't initiate your car's radio if it's off.

You could also turn off the music app. Generally if it's not running in the background, CarPlay won't pick it up automatically.
I think you might have quoted the wrong person. My complaint was around CarPlay dropping into "simple mode" where you can e.g. only see recent songs rather than the whole library.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
I think you might have quoted the wrong person. My complaint was around CarPlay dropping into "simple mode" where you can e.g. only see recent songs rather than the whole library.
No, that was applying to simple mode as well. If your music is off, simple mode doesn't engage, radio doesn't autoplay, etc. You also shouldn't be parsing your whole library of music while driving. That's just as unsafe as texting. Conversely, I found in our Hondas that if you don't unlock the phone after plugging it in, CarPlay doesn't even engage.

Plus you can always leave simple mode or plug into a power only usb if you don't wish to have CarPlay at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.