Proof that our point-n-shoot is now point-less

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlvinNguyen, Oct 19, 2011.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Now if only they add NFC all I'll need is my phone + keys!

Attached Files:

2. f00f macrumors 65816

And hopefully some pants. :eek:

Awesome pic btw. Point-and-shoots are a dying breed indeed.

3. flyboy0 macrumors newbie

Do you people realize that P&S's are still very relevant in the world?!?!

4. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

The only problem with Camera phones, They are only Digital Zoom. And Digital Zoom quality is pretty horrible.

P&S's will always be superior in quality. Although, iPhone camera is incredible.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The quality is very good, however there are some places where you simply need bigger hardware. Like zoom, for example. A point & shoot camera would be able to zoom in way more than any phone... Among other things.

6. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

The iPhone is the camera that I have with me all of the time, and it takes great pics; however, when I need zoom (and zooming with my feet isn't practical or possible), I turn to my 16x optical zoom p&s. I'd love it if the iPhone could handle all of my photography needs, but it's not there yet, for me.

7. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, but don't you think most people would bring a DSLR for that? I think there isn't a PNS that I would use. It's either DSLR or mirror-less for me. And either of those is bulkier with midrange zooms. I am a pro-photographer and I don't even lug my DSLR around. In fact, I would never take it on vacation - it's too bulky even with the lightest good midrange (24-105mm L). I find that the iPhone + apps + social media outlet, it's the best combination ever for daily use.

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

Not really. Not too many ~$100 cameras beat the iPhone.

9. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Nice. I agree with the zoom comment though. Digital zoom is grainy

10. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I agree with the zoom point. My Sony cybershot has a 4x optical zoom that always stays internal to the camera and the camera itself is only a few millimeters thicker than the iPhone. If they could build in a similar lens (and for a while there was a rumor that Apple was contracting to get those Carl Zeiss (???) zoomable lenses from Sony), then I would agree the P&S would be needed no more.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

Try bringing it to a rock concert, sporting event, or Disneyland where you want to get a closer shot and see where it can take you. Or even a bar at night. Not to diss the 4S' camera capability, but this talk has been around since the SE K800 and Nokia 82/95 days when they had great photo quality for a cameraphone for their time. A current cameraphone can make a great substitute but not always a true replacement.

12. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Agreed.

13. gadget123 macrumors 68000

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

No, because most of us don't have DSLRs. I'm not interested in spending hundreds of dollars on a camera where most features will go unused.

15. Justim macrumors 6502

I just prefer to walk closer. :rolleyes:

But I'm not any thing near a professional photographer.

16. f00f macrumors 65816

Camera phones are better for those "Holy $h|t double rainbow all the waaayyyyy!" moments where you need a camera right then and there but didn't necessarily plan to bring one. And as Scott told us, the "best camera is the one you have with you". Therefore, camera phones must be better! lol (j/k -- I use my own DSLR whenever possible, but I don't carry that beast everywhere).

P&S and DSLRs are for premeditated pics -- you're generally going to have better glass, better zoom, better everything with these. Though the 4S is rather impressive, it's not going to replace these.

17. urkel macrumors 68030

If talking quality then it matches most standard point and shoots and exceeds P&S abilities when you mix in some of the awesome photo enhancing apps or onboard social media sharing.

If talking real world usability then dont forget your point and shoot because the camera is a battery drain and if you're out all day then having a phone is pretty important.

18. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I'm sorry but I think that is a horrible looking picture. The quality is definitely not there and looks not different that an iPhone 4. Very washed out and the color is very warm that I have noticed. I am pretty disappointed with the camera on the 4S. I recently recorded a "Blu-Ray" video of our soccer game and man the quality was terrible when watching it on my computer. Very grainy and definitely not anything to write home about. Apple touted how great the camera is but it's only great when you have superb natural lighting and you're zoomed in on the object. I have yet to see a photo that has as much detail as Apple's squirrel photo, which leads me to believe that getting fantastic quality pictures is not practical but have to be staged stupendously.

19. Jman13 macrumors 68000

No, getting good pictures requires skill and vision as a photographer. Getting 'sharp' photos requires knowing how to use your gear properly. Just pointing at something and hoping the camera takes care of everything leads to complete garbage.

And the reason that the pic is too warm and washed out is because it's processed in Instagram, using, I believe, the Earlybird filter, which replicates a 70s instant photo.

The 4S camera is very good for a camera phone, especially from 10 feet and closer. Further away, it's still very good for a camera phone, but lags decent P&S cameras by a good margin. Of course, in all situations it lags a large sensor interchangeable lens camera by a considerable margin.

20. fjrabon macrumors regular

yeah, I kinda LOL'd when the above guy criticized it for being 'too warm' and 'washed out' since that was very obviously exactly what the OP was going for.

'man, that simple syrup tasted way too much like sugar water!'

21. RITmusic2k macrumors member

RITmusic2k

Well, don't take too much stock in the apparent warmth/graininess/washout of that shot - the OP's pic was processed through a hipstamatic-style filter - note the "photo print" border. The moral of the story is that the source pic was of impressive quality.

22. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

No, ALL pictures produced from the iPhone 4S are on the warmer side, which is what I was saying. You interpreted that I was still characterizing the photo. Take a look over at the 4S pictures thread and all the photos are washed with reddish brown tinting.

23. ECUSnare macrumors regular

I forgot my point and shoot on my honeymoon 3 weeks ago and took everything with my iPhone 4. Some pics where I zoomed in weren't of great quality but everything else wasn't that far off of my 3 year old Nikon. One thing to keep in mind is most of the picture quality comes from external setting (LIGHT).

24. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

No, they aren't. :rolleyes:

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Most cameras in that price range average only about 3x optical zoom and the rest is digital. It's almost a non factor.