Proof that push may be on it's way soon, or just a mistake?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by the1payday, Dec 24, 2008.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Merry Christmas! Something I've noticed of interest tonight regarding the FaceBook app on iPhone: I just logged on Facebook and saw that I had an unread message in my inbox. Instead of checking it, for whatever reason I went back to my iPhone's home screen instead. To my surprise I found a nice red badge on my facebook app with a "1" inside, just like missed calls or text messages would show. Does this mean Push is possibly being tested on certain apps or is it just a mistake? For what its worth, the red badge doesn't show up unless you first get on the application and then go back to the home screen from there. Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts?

2. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Well before the update (read: Facebook 2.0 app), this used to happen. I thought they ended the feature but apparently it's just my phone, I guess :(

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's because you logged in to the app in the first place. After you read the message and tap back to the home screen, the badge will disappear. Unless you run facebook app, you won't get the badge notice automatically.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I noticed that as well, since it would appear that I'm logged-in to FB 24/7 on my iPhone...

5. deadsouls macrumors regular

no thats not proof. thats you not understanding how apps work.

6. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

+1

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I'll never understand whybpeople are such a****les on these boards.

I think the badge signifies that the developers were planning on push being implemented. It doesn't make much sense otherwise. Would there really be much use for a number reminding you of a message after you exited? Maybe. Would the devs put the badge in solely for that purpose? I don't think so.

8. FireEater macrumors member

I contribute it to their age.

FE

9. svndmvn Guest

Not really, because the same thing happens with the App store and available updates, Push isn't that and it doesn't necessarily mean Facebook is working on Push on iPhones.

10. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

There's no need to be an ass; I was simply asking a question. If you don't have anything USEFUL to contribute to a topic, there is really no reason you should feel inclined to respond at all. It helps keep the clutter down. Thanks.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Prolly. It make little sense right now that you have to actually open up the program for the badges to appear. Heck, if you are actively opening up a program, then you obviously don't need the badge (unless you open it up and your attention is redirected elsewhere, but still).

12. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

well once push is done we have to wait more 3 months to use a messenger application.
    great.

13. RL420 macrumors member

i reckon most of the people who are giving attitude are older

considering most young people ask the most questions :eek:

14. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

I am not gonna fall victim to displaying the same type of arrogance as was shown earlier in this thread, but FireEater, I think you meant to say "I attribute it to their age." Hope you don't take any offense to that bro. Just pointing that out for your general knowledge.