Proper Battery Care !?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phame, Apr 30, 2010.

1. phame macrumors newbie

Hey Guys...

I've owned 2 macbook book pro's and just ordered my new i7..Should be here next week..

With my previous macbooks i did not really take proper care of the battery....With my first one i would leave plugged in all day every day... And now it can last max 15 mins...

My second one I did the same thing and also never let the battery drain fully...I would use it till it got to about 80% and then re-charge it back to a hundred..

I want to make sure i get the MOST out of my new MBP's battery...Can someone please give me some tips on how to care for my batter to make sure it lasts and i get the most out of it?

Thanks!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'm sure MRoogle would offer plenty of suggestions.

Just search the forums here, there are SO many threads on battery calibration and care.

The first thing you should do is calibrate your battery. This ensures the battery's remaining time and remaining charge time is accurately measured, thus allowing it to charge and discharge more efficiently. This can add to your battery's lifetime.

Also, you must USE IT or you will lose it. Unplug it now and then, whether moving away from your desk or not.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

4. joaodrp macrumors newbie

So, I found this on apple support,

"Calibrating a portable computer battery

Calibrating your battery ensures you get the longest possible running time from it. Calibrate your battery during the first week you own it, and then recalibrate it every two months. If you use your computer infrequently, it’s best to recalibrate it at least once a month."

So, someone did make this?

Full drain and full charge the battery every time all the first week?

5. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I did. I also have monthly iCal alarms to remind me of the next calibration. Before calibrating, my battery was showing 98% capacity at full charge. After, it is back to 100% again.

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I've never seen a group of people who worry so much about battery health than the Apple crowd. Other than an initial cycle (or 2 if you prefer) I'd just use the device how you wish. If you notice that after time that you're getting significantly shorter battery life (no I don't mean 2% drop - OMG!) then run through the full cycle process again.

It's a computer, not a pet. You shouldn't have to maintain the thing on a daily basis.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant and it's not directed AT you. It's just my take on the situation. I'm an electronics geek and if I paid attention to the batteries in all of my devices like some around here pay to the battery in their Mac, it would be a full time job for me.

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

the best way of taking care of your battery is to use it.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

@Kadman If somebody gave you a Porsche, you wouldn't beat it like you beat your 1984 Ford Tempo ;)

9. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yes. Actually I have an Audi S4. I don't let the 344hp engine go to waste and haven't since the day it showed up at the dealership and I took delivery. That's actually the point of owning it, to use it to it's ability. In fact, it's a perfect analogy here. These things have great battery life and nice aluminum chassis. To refrain from varying battery/AC power scenarios for the sake of battery life or to spend what could be productive time on "managing" the battery, simply know that that thing has gobs of time and use it how you wish. In the car world it's summed up as "drive it like you stole it." This applies here I think!

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The point is that we want to extend the time that we can enjoy the battery -.-' Five years may not be enough.

Think about it. If you don't maintain your car with oil changes and proper fuel, you won't be enjoying it for long.

11. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Again, simply "use" the battery and forget about it. If you notice significant loss in performance, then a couple of good cycles should do the trick.

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

As I said in regards to the battery, use it or lose it.

13. lazarusbf macrumors member

lazarusbf

Hello

i've had my new MBP sent to my friend in Pittsburgh, he got it last week and made the full charge.
    Now he flies back here in Belgium and brings it to me at the end of this month, what should he do ? Can he let my MBP turned off for about 4 weeks without using it or should he turn it on from time to time and let it loose its charge ?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's fine to leave it off for a month. Just calibrate it every 30 days or so, if you're not using it much.

15. lazarusbf macrumors member

lazarusbf

I will be using it every day for a couple of hours at least but not before end of this month. OK then he can let it off for a while.

16. ramzhh macrumors regular

It's not fully drain and full charge, there are specific steps you should take.

17. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Just store the battery at about 50% charge and you won't notice a thing when you get back. Just charging it after the four weeks will get those electrons swaying and keep it happy.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Ah, yes! The good ol' electron dance! :D