Proper battery use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sethlution, Jun 24, 2012.

1. sethlution macrumors regular

Hi guys, I just bought the new 13" MacBook pro, and coming from a cheap old dell of laptop, it is amazing. My only concern is that I'm planning on using it for another 3 years, so I want to take care of the battery well. I've read the apple support page, but it's still confusing to me.

I mainly use it at home, so I can plug it in all the time. When it's plug in, does the MacBook use the battery at all?. Also, should I charge it to 100% and completely drain it every time, or should I always plug it in, and only run on battery once or twice per week?

2. teeejay macrumors regular

It is a good question, I hope someone will answer it, I am also interested in it ;)

3. kdoug, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

http://www.all-about-apple.com/battery-care.html

http://guides.macrumors.com/Laptop_Battery_Guide

4. simsaladimbamba

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

5. leman macrumors 604

You should calibrate your battery from time to time (how: see links above), other than that, don't worry about it. My 2009 MBP has 89% original capacity left after 2.5 years of very careless usage (sometimes its not plugged, sometimes it is plugged for weeks without pause). The battery went through 724 loadcycles so far. Your battery will surely last you 3 years and maybe even 5 without you having to do anything special.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

7. lazer155 macrumors regular

If I use my rmbp mainly as a desktop (I probably won't be traveling and/or moving it around without a power source very often since it will be sitting on my desk with an outlet right next to it.) how should I treat the battery? Should I unplug it and let it run on the battery once a day for 1-2 hours or should I just leave it plugged in? By leaving it plugged in, I am not really creating any cycles on the battery so that should extend the battery life correct? Apple says that their batteries should last close to a 1000 cycles.

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

No, that isn't correct. Batteries need to be used "from time to time". Is 1-2 hours a day enough? Honestly I don't know. But when my old battery wasn't working well anymore, Apple informed me it was because I wasn't working with the laptop on battery power enough. Well, given that the battery even when new and full never lasted more than 2 hours, it was a hassle to use on battery power.

With these new machines getting 7-8 hours of battery life, I'm decided to pretty much work exclusively on battery power now. Makes for a much nicer work environment, but I guess I'll need to change the batteries more often in the long run. I'm already at 20 cycles after two weeks of use.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to do that daily, but running on battery a few times a week is good. Read the AC POWER section of the Battery FAQ.

10. lazer155 macrumors regular

In the Ac Power section, it says discharge to 50% every 2-3 days so I'll give that a try. Has anyone else done that and noticed an extended battery life?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't have to be strictly 50%, but "somewhere around 50%". That means it should be lower than 90-95%, but it doesn't have to be as low as 20%. Anywhere around 25-75% should be fine. It just needs to be enough that the battery is getting some use regularly.