Proper cable to record in Garageband?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rspeaker, Aug 11, 2007.

1. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I'm attempting to record some tapes, using my stereo (RCA outputs) and iMac audio in port. This is the cable I am (trying) to use:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102974&cp

I can't get any signal, even after going into System Preferences and making sure the audio in was selected. I'm wondering if perhaps the 1/8" plug is wrong, and I needed something like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...origkw=mini+rca&kw=mini+rca&parentPage=search

Any suggestions for the proper cable, or what I can do to get this working properly, would be appreciated.

2. illweather macrumors regular

The two cables are virtually the same, one is just a bit better (gold plated), and thus more expensive. What kinda iMac do you have? Sure you have an analog input on your machine? If it is infact an analog input, then I'm not sure why you would not be able to get a signal. What program are you using to record the tapes? When you go into System Prefs, and select sound, does any signal register visually on the provided input level meter?

Let me know

:illweather:

3. rspeaker thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Rev A 1.83 CD iMac... so I suppose it is an optical input, not analog. But I can't find the proper cable for my needs. I'm trying to use GarageBand; there is no sound registered in system prefs (probably because it's the wrong cable.)

4. illweather macrumors regular

Don't think you can directly connect your RCAs from the tapedeck to your iMac if the audio in port is optical/digital. I'm not as familiar with digital connections when recording with computers.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No no no. illweather, please don't guess at answers, you only confuse the issue. The only Mac that doesn't have an analog audio line in is the Mini G4 - and no Mac has a digital only line in without analog.

The audio in port is a conventional analog line in. The OUTput is a combo analog headphone out/optical digital out.

rspeaker, I hate to ask but are you sure you are plugged into the audio line IN jack on the Mac, and plugged into the Playback or Out jacks of the tape deck?

6. rspeaker thread starter macrumors 6502

CanadaRAM, thank you. I am a moron, it turns out. I was using the stereo's input, not output.

I thought the problem might be with the 1/8" jack and the iMac, as it doesn't sit flush in the computer like headphone/speaker jacks do with the input.

7. illweather macrumors regular

Guess at answers? I was just saying you can't mix digital inputs with analog cables and expect to get a signal. What did you want me to say? "No no no rsspeaker, don't guess when making connections, you only confuse yourself," or something?

Sorry for not giving advice in your acceptable format

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I don't care about your format -- just your facts are wrong.

1) there is no Mac with a digital-only audio input - So while the advice not to use a analog cable with a digital input is correct as far as it goes, it is only confusing in the context of Macs.

2) for the combined digital/analog output, they ARE on the same jack so literally you are mixing digital and analog cables and the Mac will deliver one or the other-- if you plug an optical cable into the output, it takes the digital signal, if you plug a 3.5mm stereo plug into it, it takes the analog signal.