Proper Config

Discussion in 'iMac' started by froto, Oct 11, 2012.

1. froto macrumors newbie

As you can tell i'm a complete n00b to the site and i *would* use the search function, but its down at the moment. And to my cred i have been lurking on the "Next Big Date" thread for about a month now. im ready to buy a new iMac and while waiting seems like the logical thing to do my late 2007 MBP is dying, very quickly. So instead of paying the ridiculous price on old hardware, id like to buy a (slightly less ridiculously priced) refurb. Now to my question, what would you all think is the best configuration for me. I will be using it for everyday browsing and as a personal computer, but will also be running Pro-Tools (which obviously has an interface for recording) and ableton (which will run a couple of interfaces like an MPK etc.), which i know can be taxing, as my MBP is struggling. if i bought new i would definitely get an SSD, but they dont offer it in a 21.5" (currently), so how necessary is it? also do i need to upgrade to a faster processor? i will upgrade the ram myself, as i am not completely computer illiterate, however i'm not 100% on the improvements i will see with the other upgrades. Also as you can tell i hold on to my machines until they die, and don't upgrade until i have to. So future proofing is also a consideration, and i dont mind paying for it, but i like to do it within reason.

So basically my options are:

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

or

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

or go ballsout

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 :D

any help you guys have would be much appreciated! thanks in advance!

2. robster2644 macrumors newbie

I did the sames thing your are planning. I ended up buying 21.5" i5 refurbished, My friend has the 27" and i felt it to be to big(pref). I installed an SSD in to the Imac under the optical drive took 45 Minutes, guide and tools from ifixit.com.

The 21.5" Imac is an amazing bit of kit and it has just became out of this world with the SSD, I'm also running boot camp with windows 7. Superb.

I also suggest running a boot camp (window) for updating your SSD its so much better and easier to do through windows.

Robbie

3. froto thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that bit of info! would parallels work for the install process? i have a copy of that but not boot camp. and how tech savvy are you? and what all tools do you need to do the install?

anyone else?