Proper MacBook Pro for Music Production

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NecroxGlake, Mar 12, 2013.

1. NecroxGlake macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm sure there have been million of threads created like this before, but I could not find any that have been made as of recent (within the last 2 years or so) but anyway, basically I need some advice on which MacBook Pro model I should pick up for music production.

Right now, it's looking likely I'll be getting either the 2.2 Ghz i7 (2011 model with 8GB of Ram) or the 2.0 GHz i7 (2011 model with 8GB of Ram) now, I'm not to familiar with Macs, so I'm not quite sure if there will be much of a difference between these two as far as speed goes. But mainly I'd like to know if it's worth shelling out another few hundred dollars or so for a 2012 Model (15 inch i7) with 2.4 Ghz with 8GB of Ram.

I've been pretty on the edge about going for the newer models with USB 3.0 because I've read on various forums that some people have come across issues when using them. I have the opportunity to buy one of these MBP's off a previous owner, the 2.0 GHz for $1050, the 2.2GHz for $1350 with AppleCare until April 2014, and then the 2012 2.4Ghz with (standard manufacture warranty) for $1500

It would seem like a no brainer to go for the 2012 model if you're for newer products, but I'd only like to buy it if it's necessary as I am still looking to purchase an APC40, perhaps a new midi keyboard, and some speakers. Mainly looking to run Ableton Live 9 & FL Studio, would more than likely be using at max 2 VST's at a time, some effects, reverb, etc. If you use any of these models for music productions yourself, please let me know how well they work for you.

Thanks

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You don't need a ton of horsepower for most music production (as opposed to video), but I've found that a lot of screen space is a god-send.

If I were in your shoes, I would opt for this from the refurb store (stock rotates so if it's not there now, it will be back soon):

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel i5
    Eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program

Originally released June 2012
    13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    $1,019.00

And pony up a couple of hundred for a non-apple external display for studio work when you want to spread out.