proper pci-e sata card for my g5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by boneskid1, Sep 11, 2013.

1. boneskid1, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

boneskid1 macrumors member

Alright alright. I did search ahead of time and I found the sonnet card option, but......... That is a bit expensive for an older machine. I want a card that I can mount a 2.5" ssd on and boot from it, leaving me with the 2 stock bays for storage.
    I found these 2 cards at my local PC shop. Is there anything preventing them from working?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/398303/Velocity_Solo_x1_PCIe_20_x1_to_SATA_6Gb-s_Solid_State_Drive_Adapter

http://www.microcenter.com/product/398333/Apricorn_Velocity_Solo_x2_PCIe_20_x2_to_SATA_6Gb-s_Solid_State_Drive_Adapter

They appear to be the same, only difference is the actually bus speed for the pci-e slot.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: answering my own damn question but the cheaper of the 2 has the asmedia 1061 chipset so it will work in the g5 I'm just not sure if it is bootable

2. RedCroissant Suspended

If you know that it will work because of the chipset then great. Also, if you scroll down to the product features section, it states that it is bootable. SO that's pretty awesome.

It also said that the version of OS X required was 10.4(and as far as I know, Tiger was PPC only until 10.4.3). I could be wrong about that though!

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

4. rabidz7, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

When I installed a asmedia 1062 card in my G5 it just kernel panicked on boot. A tech guy said it was a bad driver/kext. It is working in Debian!

5. boneskid1, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

boneskid1 thread starter macrumors member

Sir this is an asmedia 1061 not the sil3132, I might go up to micro center this weekend and pick that card up to give it a try.

Red, 10.4 actually was a multi-lingual version kind of like 10.5.
    10.4 was released around the time the first intel macs were dropped, my first gen macbook still had the tiger update from day one when I got it.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

I know Tiger was an Intel/PPC OS, but I don't think Intel Macs can run 10.4.1. In fact, I did more research and found that even the first Intel Macs were shipped with 10.4.4. The first Mac Pro also had 10.4.7 pre-installed and am assuming that this is the minimum version of the OS that will boot the first MP. Because of that, I am assuming that 10.4.4 is the version of Tiger that has the Intel code. So the description that says OS X 10.4 is compatible might be misleading if they're not being specific enough about the CPU type that is needed for complete compatibility with the PCIe card.

Do you think Micro Center would allow you to bring your machine with you to test it there? It might be a hassle, but then at least you could try before you buy if they even allow that.

7. boneskid1 thread starter macrumors member

ah that is true with the 10.4.4 i completley forgot.

i doubt micro center would let me test it in house, i would just have to buy it and return it shall it not work for me.

8. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I tested my card that I got for 5$+shipping on ebay, it is actually an asmedia 1062, and works great in debian!