Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yeah the toy looking blue on the left - thats the one I already saw on display, not for me.
That matte PB on the right, it's really nice.

No idea how I missed it, I actually didn't notice the darker blue lens area until now!
Where has this description ‘toy blue’ come from? I’ve seen about 4 people use it on here now. It’s just a shade of blue, why ‘toy’? I haven’t heard the other blue referred to as ‘Nissan blue’ or some other random description.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Where has this description ‘toy blue’ come from? I’ve seen about 4 people use it on here now. It’s just a shade of blue, why ‘toy’? I haven’t heard the other blue referred to as ‘Nissan blue’ or some other random description.

They must be upset they didn’t purchase the toy blue iPhone once they’ve seen proper photos of it or seen it in person, happy it’s not Everton blue ?

Can’t wait for my toy blue iPhone arrive. ???

On a serious note, just about every YouTuber who has seen it in person says it’s a dark rich navy color, most of them say it’s the color to get. ?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
They must be upset they didn’t purchase the toy blue iPhone once they’ve seen proper photos of it or seen it in person, happy it’s not Everton blue

Can’t wait for my toy blue iPhone arrive.

On a serious note, just about every YouTuber who has seen it in person says it’s a dark rich navy color, most of them say it’s the color to get.
I get the impression because it’s so popular but not available on the Pro, some feel they have to make a derogatory comment to make others feel crap about having it.

It’s a lovely colour in person. None of the videos or photos I have seen online have managed to capture it in its true appearance. You’ll love it and it’s definitely not Evertonian blue I can vouch for that lol. It’s definitely a teal blue and the Pantone matches from my own tests.

lexikon318

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018

Yeah, I was seeing those words everywhere ... it’s like some sort of an echo chamber.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
It is deeper than blue used on toys. It is more like Polo blue.
15E2E315-0013-4063-BBCF-71D7E9DFF42C.jpeg
E69B59E5-5439-496E-BF1F-EE9F56F54FEA.jpeg

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Wow, well I apologize. Simply put that brighter blue is not for me.

Ok, using the term "Toy" was harsh and stupid, but it was my immediate impression. I take it back...not ripping anyone who has this. EVERYONE has a taste..that bright blue - many will and do love..thats cool with me.

Heck if it makes anyone feel better (who knows) I saw the PRO in gold and immediately thought "C3PO" gold sides.
Anyway, I guess my preferred taste are darker tones, that's all. But with the 12, yes..it is cool ...the more colors the better for everyone.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Wow, well I apologize. Simply put that brighter blue is not for me.

Ok, using the term "Toy" was harsh and stupid, but it was my immediate impression. I take it back...not ripping anyone who has this. EVERYONE has a taste..that bright blue - many will and do love..thats cool with me.

Heck if it makes anyone feel better (who knows) I saw the PRO in gold and immediately thought "C3PO" gold sides.
Anyway, I guess my preferred taste are darker tones, that's all. But with the 12, yes..it is cool ...the more colors the better for everyone.

Sorry if I offended anyone.
Have a look at it in person because it’s not bright at all. Under most lights it’s quite dark and when it’s put in a clear case it’s darker again. I’d say it’s more teal in most lights I’ve viewed it under. The photos posted online, even the ones I’ve shared don’t show an accurate image of the colour. It’s worth having a proper look at it as it’s a beautiful looking phone.

I only took exception to the word ‘toy’ because it sounded derogatory, not meaning to have a go at you. I’ve seen years of people on here referring to the aluminium Apple watches as ‘cheap feeling toys’ and it puts members off joining in sometimes through fear of being ridiculed by these elitist snobs. No offence taken from you personally, I appreciate the response and enjoy your new iPhone :).

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I recall how people went nuts for the midnight green last year when it first came out, also gold for the iphone XS. The hype dies so fast.
I’d 100% buy 12 Pro just for the Midnight Green I missed with 11. All 12 Pro colours look premium but it’s no MG. Can’t help myself, but the new 12 colors look “cheap”. Even the Black I’m going for looks strangely “plastic” in some photos.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’d 100% buy 12 Pro just for the Midnight Green I missed with 11. All 12 Pro colours look premium but it’s no MG. Can’t help myself, but the new 12 colors look “cheap”. Even the Black I’m going for looks strangely “plastic” in some photos.
The blue doesn’t look cheap when you see it in person, I can confirm. Apple are very good with their aesthetics and have never produced a cheap looking iPhone. This year is no exception gladly.

manincognito

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
Another blue 12 owner here. Was a little concerned (‘tech world’ concerned, not ‘real life’ concerned) at first when I saw some of the photos of it coming out before I got mine, but in the flesh it’s definitely a dark, nicer shade of blue then the ‘toy’ blue that seemed to appear in a few reviews. Very happy with the colour...

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Another blue 12 owner here. Was a little concerned (‘tech world’ concerned, not ‘real life’ concerned) at first when I saw some of the photos of it coming out before I got mine, but in the flesh it’s definitely a dark, nicer shade of blue then the ‘toy’ blue that seemed to appear in a few reviews. Very happy with the colour...
Looks pretty fresh in Cyprus Green silicone case

Reactions: MartyvH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.