Proper procedure upgrade Mac Mini 2012 Server with one SSD

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Yankee512, May 18, 2017.

1. Yankee512 Suspended

Yankee512

Can someone tell me what the proper procedure is to upgrade a late 2012 Mac Mini Server that has two 1TB hard drives, with an SSD and keep the lower 1TB HD as storage and not use it as a fusion drive with keeping the partitions intact for reinstall of O/S on the 1TB?

I've seen so many different posts that I am unsure which is correct. Some say it will ruin the SSD, some say it can be done by you move the data with a clone program to the other drive then remove and put the ssd in and then clone it back?

Whatever help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. My unit should be here Monday. Got a heck of a deal on it for $290 shipped working condition with a 2.3ghz i7, 4gb, 1tb.

2. DFWHD macrumors regular

I've used this video from macsales.com on two separate occasions, upgrading both of my drives (upper to SSD first, then lower to 2TB a few months later). These are easy installs, just take your time and follow the instructions. I'm running the OS on the SSD (HD1) with storage on HD2. While you are in there, upgrade the memory to 8 or 16GB. Mine was a whole new machine once I did this.

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2012_server_hd/

Good luck!

3. Yankee512 thread starter Suspended

Yankee512

Thank you. I did order 16gb of memory at the same time, just waiting for it to come in. I bet it will be fast.