proper quicktime embeds? help!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by decksnap, Sep 30, 2009.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Trying to figure out the best code for embedding quicktime on a page. I have tried the 'AC_RunActiveContent.js' method, but it seems to not work in IE 6? Conversely a straight <embed> seems to work in IE 6 just fine. Thoughts?

Here's the ActiveX workaround method code I have now...
    <head>
    <script src="Scripts/AC_ActiveX.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script src="Scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    </head>

<body>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    AC_AX_RunContent( 'width','320','height','256','src','video/dttd-top-of-the-world-60.mov' ); //end AC code
    </script><noscript><object width="320" height="256">
    <embed src="video/dttd-top-of-the-world-60.mov" width="320" height="256"></embed>
    </object>
    </noscript>
    </body>

2. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Thanks -

that article doesn't seem to be too sure of itself (at least the quicktime one). It also doesn't address ActiveX as far as I can tell.

So... worst case scenario for using the old school <object><embed></embed></object> method would be what, that the user would just have to click on it to get it to run? I can live with that for now. It's a temp page but I need the users to be able to see it above all, activeX be damned.

3. zander macrumors newbie

Javascript

I've found the best way is to use the JavaScript method described on Apple's "Embedding Quicktime" page: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/embed.html

Just don't try to call the document.write at any other time than page load, or you'll trash the rest of the rendered page...