Proper setup for two Airport Expresses

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chuchichan2524, Jun 20, 2010.

1. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

Hello,

I have two Airport Express devices (one "N" and one "G"). I am not sure if I have them properly configured because my wifi network keeps slowing down to a crawl. I have a fiberoptic line and a modem that was supplied.

Currently, I have connected the "N" Airport Express to the modem and set it up as the "main" unit. I then setup the "G" Express to "participate" in the wifi network that I created.

I am also using the "G" Express to connect to a stereo so I can stream music via iTunes. Should the "G" Express be setup to extend the network?

Also, which channel is generally the best to chose?

Thanks in advance (I have been battleing with this for a while).

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Aiport express is meant for extending the network of a Apple Wireless Base station and not another Airport express.

3. chuchichan2524 thread starter macrumors regular

The Airport Express can of course be a basestation. One I have created as a "main" basestation and the other as a "remote". However the problem I have is that my network speed gets very slow after a short uptime.

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

In that case, you might want to scan your area for any other wireless networks. If there are surrounding w/s networks using channel 1 for example, you might want to use channel 3 or 6. And adding a G device to the N network will def slow down the bandwidth of the N channel, so its normal.