proper way to erase ipad before selling?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by trellaine, Nov 7, 2013.

1. trellaine macrumors member

What is the proper way to erase everything on my ipad 2 as I am selling it.

I have backed up to itunes and to icloud.

I have read two ways but told "erase" via the ipad is the best way as I will be getting a new ipad and want that info transferred to new ipad.

I tried erasing the ipad but takes forever??? articles claim it doesn't take very long?

Thanks

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the way i do it is turn off FaceTime, iMessage and find my iphone. i then erase all content and settings, and then i'm good to go.

3. trellaine thread starter macrumors member

How long?

How long does it take? :confused: I have a 16gb jailbroken ipad 2

I kept seeing the spinning gear for an hour. Mind you maybe because its JB? and when I restore via itunes it will force me to update to the latest OS and erase.

Bottom line is how long does this take?

Thanks

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

for me it honestly doesn't take more than a few minutes. it probably is because you're jailbroken that is taking so long. i'd restore it through itunes.

5. trellaine thread starter macrumors member

Thanks after all the steps I took and finally restoring to new. Unfortunately I am not sure why Apple made me update to the latest fw but oh well.

I went to trade in or get $200 for what was a mint condition ipad 2. I took it out of the case and realized there was a dent in one corner lol...I think I may have dropped it once in the first few days I had it..some 2-3yrs ago.

It was the first time I took out of the case lol. Kinda funny.

But no $200 due to the dent.

And now updated to ios7 which I didnt want.

Oh well its now a fresh ipad2.