Proper way to handle registering new users with email

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by troop231, Jun 5, 2013.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

I'm wanting to either let users login with either Facebook or their email address. If a user wants to use their email, should I verify that they are indeed the owner of that email by sending a confirmation code?

I've seen apps such as Snapchat don't verify if you're the owner of that email or not, which causes me to believe someone else could use your email as their account login without your knowledge.

What would be the proper way to handle registration via email?

Thank you!

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

The usual drill is to have the user enter their email address, then send a confirmation email that includes a link or respond button. When the user responds saying "yes, this is my email" then the registration is complete. IF not, there is a "no, not me" button that rejects the email.

You need server-side support for that

3. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

So the majority of social apps don't follow standard protocol by sending you a confirmation email I assume?

4. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

It's been a while since I signed up for a new social media site, but my memory is that they use confirmation email.

Why do you assume that they don't?

5. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Because Snapchat and many other services don't send you any emails to confirm.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What do you consider "many"? Do you have some other examples?