proper way to install OS X in new ssd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sashaidar, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Sashaidar macrumors newbie

Dears

i tried several search to know the proper way of installing OS X in new SSD.
    i have new SSD, & want to install on my MBP..then perform clean OS X install.

but first, you need to prepare the SSD drive.
    what i knew up to now, is there is currently two ways to do that:

within Disk Utility, you will highlight the SSD drive name (on top left side) then you choose one of two:

- Erase tab (& follow the process)
    - Partition tab (choose how many partitions etc..)

my question is:
    which tab i need to choose to do clean ML install on my new SSD? which method is the correct?

should choose Erase tab? why?
    should choose Partition? why also?
    please to help..since i saw several youtube each using different way.

thank you

2. Sashaidar thread starter macrumors newbie

3. simsaladimbamba

The ERASE tab might work, I have no new HDD or SSD to test with, but the GUID part is important, thus I always use the PARTITION tab.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Either will work and you will get the exact same end result. IMO using erase is less confusing. There is no need to go to the partitions tab as the correct GUID format is selected by default.

Watch the first 30 seconds of this video to see how to do it. Erase will work fine, I have done it many times.

5. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

6 one way half dozen the other. Either works fine. There is no "incorrect" way to install on an SSD compared to a traditional hard disk when using OS X.

6. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

OSX, at least from 10.7 onward is SSD aware. It will identify it as such and offset the partition correctly.

You might not get "TRIM" functioning without some tweaks. But all SSD's have internal garbage collection that does the exact same thing just at a much slower pace. But for normal day to day usage where you aren't deleting too much, it will be fine.

7. Sashaidar thread starter macrumors newbie

to all of you..i really thanks everyone who help me define the proper way for installing osx on new SSD

i really appreciate

Best