Proper way to set up hotmail on iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djsound, Jul 30, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

So I have a hotmail account that I want to use on my iphone. I have a data plan so I would like it to tell me when I get the email. Not have to wait until I am on wireless network to get it. The guy at Rogers (I live in Vancouver) said that the only way to do this was to make a "exchange account". I did that and it worked....then I was in itunes and synced all my accounts. I have 4 other work accounts too.....so now I have all 5 accounts synced from itunes AND the exchange one and it is a mess. I am not sure if the other ones are sending email notifications as i get them.....what is the proper way of setting this up? I'd like ot get rid of the "exchange" is possible....thanks. i hope this makes sense to some of you.

2. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is but like you said the only way I know how to set up hotmail properly is via exchange, although I believe in iOS 5 you can set up hotmail account without using the exchange because they added an option for the mail app, so you could wait for that I suppose?

3. ckc macrumors regular

I set up two Hotmail accounts on my iP4 by using 'Other' in the Add Account setting.

All you need to do is to enter your Hotmail address and your account password and it will automatically retrieve the correct settings.

4. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Choose exchange then when your filling out the details, for the server address put m.hotmail.com and leave domain blank.

5. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Yes IOS 5 does have the option...

Attached Files:

6. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Ah yeah but I believe it doesn't actually sync with your account as such, say if you deleted an email on your iphone it would still be there on your computer, but this isn't true if you use exchange :)

7. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

ya I did that too at first but it doesn't send you notifications when you get an email. it only does if you do the exchange way...

you SHOULDNT have to set up any account. you should just be able to sync to your 'mail' account thats already setup from itunes....but then it wont send notifications also.

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Not to be a jerk or clown, but I didn't know people still used hotmail. I thought that died out years ago of a painful and violent death.
    I remember something about viruses and malware/spyware being sent to its users because of how easy it was to bypass their filters.

Guess I've learned something today!

9. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I use Gmail too but I still use Hotmail as well, I have far too many things 'attached' to it to be bothered to change and it's easy to use and I couldn't really care much less about viruses and what not so it's fine with me.

10. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Ive had the same hotmail address for about 12 years. I am not going to change it and not be emailed by anyone just so I can get email notifications on my phone..

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm not sure what it is you're asking for. I don't have any e-mail accounts syncing in iTunes, but I have Hotmail, 2x Gmail, Yahoo, and MobileMe on the phone. I recently went to the Exchange connector on Hotmail so I wouldn't have to manage it in two places.

12. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

If you want the push notifications, you will need to do it via exchange.

Bathplug's post above shows the correct server details to enter.

I'm also sure you could google the settings.

But to reiterate, if you want to have push notifications, you will need to set it up via exchange. And I would personally recommend that you uncheck the little box in iTunes which syncs your Computer email accounts to your phone, things could obviously get quite messy.

13. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I saw Hotmail was, WHO THE HELL STILL USES THAT?!?!

Geez get a gmail and forward all your messages to it lol :)

But anyways, iOS 4.3.4 or whatever doesn't have a Hotmail option so you'll HAVE to use Exchange i believe.

IDK if hotmail is high-tech enough, but some email services you can forward all of your emails automatically to another account. If you want it to be setup normal, like a gmail account, you'd have to make a GMAIL and forward the messages there. Like I said, idk if hotmail has that option. It's automagical :D

14. ckc macrumors regular

I have had Hotmail for about 14 years and use it as my personal email rather than Gmail which I find far to instrusive regarding privacy.

With Hotmail I have the forwarding option set to send a copy to my VM (UK) account and also when I am abroad and need to keep more up to date than once a day with my mail it also sends a notification by text message notifying me of new email to any mobile phone number that I choose.

Never had a problem setting it up on any device that I have owned and the spam/virus side of Hotmail is easily dealt with by using the correct setting in Hotmail itself.