Proper way to store a DSLR in a bag

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by yg17, Dec 21, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

OK, this may be perhaps the dumbest question ever asked on MacRumors...well...maybe second to the "One of the two speakers on my iPhone 3G doesn't work!!!" threads, but what's the proper way to store a camera in a bag? I just got a Kata 467 and it's an awesome bag. Holds my Rebel XSI, extra lens, laptop and accessories with room to spare. But I can configure the DSLR compartment a few ways with those divider things to give me a few possibilities for storing the camera.

I can do it with the lens pointed up:
    kata-up.jpg

Or pointed down:
    kata-down.jpg

Or on it's side:
    kata-side.jpg

So, is there a right way to store a camera in a bag? Would any of these orientations offer more protection than the other? Thanks

2. 103734 Guest

I think they are all fine but I think the last one would be the best if you remove the lens hood.

Really I don't think it matters as long as its firmly held in place and padded.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

One of the shutterbugs that I work with showed me his bag. He flipped his lens hood around before putting it in the bag. Seems like an easy way to protect the hood from breakage as well as getting a little more space in the bag.

Also, I would think that putting the camera in pointed down or sideways would make it easier to take out when needed. Just stick your hand in there and remove. Having the lens point up would open up the possibility of getting fingerprints on the lens. Of course, you could put the lens cap on it ...

ft

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Flip the lens hood round so it's doubling back onto the lens. Then, stick it in via the bottom method, that way undue pressure isn't being exerted on the lens mount.

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Ditto about the lens hood. Looks like a predetermined breaking point to me ;)

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'd say if "It depends". If you are using the camera and just need to put in in the bag to free your hands then I'd put it in lens down with the hood on "forward" and no lens cap.

If the camera is being stored in the bag then I'll flip the lens hood around backwards and put on the lens cap. Now the camera is smaller and may fit flat on the bottom.

It also bepands on which lens is attached. With a longer lens the camera might not fit lens down with hood on.

7. termina3 macrumors 65816

Also, when you're carrying this bag, you'll want the weight of the camera and lenses to be as evenly distributed as possible (without a bias to one side or the other, which will make carrying less comfortable).

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I just got the same bag ( and love it too!!) and I've been putting it in lens down. I only have the stock 18-55 lens though. I didn't think about doing it another way, but I might try to use two dividers so that they are sandwiching the lens and most of the pressure is on the body and not the lens, if that makes sense. Maybe i can figure out a way to take a picture with the camera in when I get home tonight.

9. itou macrumors regular

10. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Given the bag in question, and the number of lenses/accessories you are carrying, I would say that so long as you arent stretching the compartment in any direction you should be safe. If you have too tight of a fit (as shown in the 3rd pic) then any impact is likely to go straight to the body/lens and cause damage as opposed to a setup with a little, but not a lot of room around it where the impact isnt sent directly to the equipment.

11. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I have this same bag! I love it - great way to carry gear and laptop together.

I actually point the lens down but I put the all weather cover on the bottom of the bag for extra shock absorption. Works great for me.

12. Nikonut macrumors member

I am here in St Louis with ya man,thats a nice bag,I like it.
    I kinda like the bottom pic,I think its a little safer for the camera,I have alot of bags and I always pack differently too.....never know which way is kosher pickle either :D

Steve