proper way to transfer itunes music?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boynigel, Jul 16, 2012.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

my main computer is an intel imac running snow leopard. i recently bought a mac mini running lion for the "family" computer. i wanted to put all of my itunes music from my imac into the mini via an external hard drive. after loading all the music into the mini, i keep getting an error message stating that "the original file could not be found", so obviously i did something wrong. i've done this before w/other macs w/no issues. not sure what happened here, but could someone enlighten me on the proper way to do this? thanks!

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

You need to tell your mac mini where your new files are.

Open itunes. Select one track. Press command + a. Press command + delete. ( you shouldn't be asked if you want to delete, because itunes doen't know where the files are)
    Open up itunes preferences > advanced. Direct itunes to moved music files. Untick "copy files to itunes media". In itunes press command and o. Point to your moved music files.

3. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

when you say, "press command + a", do you mean "and" when you use the "+" key, or do you literally mean the "+ key" on the keyboard?