Proper Way To Uninstall iLife/iWork 06?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by czeluff, Aug 8, 2007.

1. czeluff macrumors 6502

Hello to all,

I'm looking to buy iLife 08 and iWork 08, however, I currently have the '06 versions of each installed.

Is there a "proper" way to uninstall the 06 packages, or should I just drag the individual programs to the trash? (I would think that ALOT of stuff will be left behind by simply choosing that option)

Or even better, will iLife 08 detect the 06 version installed and upgrade it?

Chad Z

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I would guess that installing from the iLife '08 CD will update all the apps to their latest versions. That is what has happened in the past. I guess maybe the old iMovie might stick around because its supposedly a new app, but I can't say until I get my copy of iLife in the mail.

3. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Installing iWork '08 leaves iWork '06 in a separate folder and both still run.

I did some looking around last night about this and what I found was simply drag-and-dropping iWork '06 to the trash uninstalls it.

Office 2004 is another matter. You do need to run an uninstaller (it is in the additional tools folder).

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

OK thanks for the clarification.
    What's wrong with just dropping the Office 2004 folder in the Trash?

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

6. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Don't know why, but what I found says the uninstaller needs to be run.

Blame Microsoft for not knowing how to write a Mac program properly.

7. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Equally, I've dragged Office to the Trash and that works just as well in my experience. They have an uninstaller, but AFAIK Office doesn't install anything in the system that you'd want to uninstall.

8. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

As far as iLife 08 is concerned, it will just upgrade your iLife 06 apps to the new versions (with the exception of iMovie, which will be moved to its own folder). No need to uninstall anything.