Proper way to UPDATE OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by harleymhs, Apr 28, 2011.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Hey Guys... I have a question on doing my software updates.. I see some people say not to ALLOW the auto updates on the OSX that its better to do it manually direct from apple.. Do 10.6 then 10.7 etc etc then when done let apple do all the little updates ( iphoto safari etc ) Does it really make a difference if you do it manually or let the software do it for you.. Thanks! Just picked up a 11' MBA ultimate and didnt do any updates yet! Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's absolutely no reason not to use Software Update. That's what it's designed for.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I have used Software Update many times without a hitch.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What other stupid things did "some people" say?

6. jegbook macrumors regular

For the little things I let Software Update do it. But for the dot updates (X.X.4, X.X.5) I've always downloaded the combo update and installed that way. Not for any good reason, though. I've never had any problems with that way.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Mostly zero difference. However if you have many updates to apply some times Apple will have a downloadable "combo" that does several of them at once and it is faster. Also if you have many Macs it is faster to download the update once then run it on all your computers. But the end effect should be the same

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't let it run the update automatically. When I get the notice that software updates are ready, I make a clone backup before running the update, just in case the update makes a mess, then allow the update to happen.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Well, of course you should always have a good backup. Best setup is to have automatic backups and automatic updates though. One of the great benefits of Time Machine over a clone backup (I do understand why you might want a clone, don't misunderstand).

jW

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How is TM an advantage? CCC can make a bootable backup and can also keep it updated with automatic periodic backups.

11. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

the advantage of TM is that, if you screw up in a small way, restoring your system to a well known state takes a few minutes @ worst. cloning a clone back to your boot drive takes considerably more time.

having a clone really comes into play when, say, your internal HD fails - you boot up from the clone and keep going.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

A smart backup strategy incorporates more than one technique. I have Time Machine on one external, and a SuperDuper clone on another physical drive, plus a 3rd SuperDuper clone on a small disk that I keep in a fireproof cabinet.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't want to derail this thread with a lengthy discussion about backup methodology, so I'll make just a few points. I understand why some would find it appealing to have TM's roll-back feature, but the most common scenario I can think of where I'd need a backup is if I accidentally deleted a file. A simple drag and drop from the backup takes seconds to restore the file. You don't have to restore the entire drive from the clone. I don't need to maintain historic hourly snapshots of every file I update. It's a waste of space for me.
    I agree it's advantageous to have more than one backup, but I don't see an advantage to using more than one backup method. I use CCC to make two separate bootable backups and keep them both updated.

For the specific discussion in this thread, I still don't see how TM offers any advantage over CCC:
    CCC and Software update will accomplish that.
    Again, what is the benefit of TM over a clone backup? I don't see it.

14. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

granted.

but that would mean you'd have to update the clone pretty much every hour or so, too. if the file was deleted before, you're screwed.

Time Machine vs. Clones and Archives

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

But CCC will do automatic hourly incremental backups, just like TM.

16. ufkdo macrumors 6502

I've always used Software Update, and no issues here. There was a problem with 10.6.7 and Macbook Air, but this issue is experienced by both who use software update and who manually install updates. So, I will say do not believe everything :)

17. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

yes, if you configure it accordingly. i like (and use) both TM and CCC, each for different jobs.

obviously, no-one needs TM but its integration with OS X is appealing and it has saved my bacon on a number of occasions. i use CCC to incrementally clone my Macs on a weekly basis and have set TM to do backups to my TC every four hours. given my setup and way of computing, that is sufficiently re-ensuring for me.

'nuff said ;)

18. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the issue with 10.6.7 with the Macbook Airs.. Should I NOT upgrade to that version?

19. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

what issue ?

20. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Apple already resolved that issue. When itunes was opened, system might become irresponsive and the only way to get your computer work was hard reset (holding power button to shut down). But, as I said, it is solved. Do not worry to upgrade to 10.6.7