Properly designed Wireless desktop charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by beanbaguk, Oct 3, 2017.

1. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

Why why why hasn’t anyone created a decent desktop charger yet?

If anyone can direct me to a desktop charger that allows me to mount my phone upright, plug my lightning to 3.5mm connector in and also charge it wireless, please let me know.

In the meantime, I’ve had to create my own. It works but I’d love something a bit nicer than this!

image.jpg

2. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

3. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

Tilting my head 90 degrees is not a solution. How am I supposed to read my notifications or use my music apps. They don’t work in landscape mode....
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    Tilting my head 90 degrees is not a solution. How am I supposed to read my notifications or use my music apps. They don’t work in landscape mode....

4. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

"Or it may be grippy enough to allow your phone to be mounted higher in portrait orientation so you can still plug in your Lightning cable."

5. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

And bend and eventually damage those flimsy lightning to 3.5mm adapters....nope.

Somebody needs to find a REAL solution! :)

6. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

Plenty on Amazon,

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

HAAAA, I did the SAME THING with the SAME Anker wireless charger last night -- was thinking - why the heck hasn't anyone done this? Was fun typing on my phone via bluetooth keyboard on a stand and watching it charge up.

That said, I noticed if the phone isn't PERFECTLY laying against the wireless charger, there seems to be an abnormal amount of heat buildup.

8. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I’m only trying to help....

You can prop up the phone with hard foam or wood.

9. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

Please, show me a solution on Amazon....I'm all ears....

10. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

If you do research you can find plenty of stands for charging.

11. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

I have done. I literally spent over an hour looking for this type of stand and cannot find one. If you are aware of a stand that fits my needs, please post it here so I can investigate further.........................

12. solodogg, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017

solodogg macrumors 6502

Wait, we need wireless charging, but wired headphones at the same time? Seriously, do people just look for stuff to complain about these days?

13. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

Why should I cave out another $400 for a set of headphones when I have a perfectly decent set of $400 headphones now?

Does consumerism also equal the death of common sense?

14. mrklaw macrumors 68020

Can’t you put the phone upside down so the lightning port is at the top?

15. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

I suppose I could perform handstands to read the contents of my phone....;)

16. mrklaw macrumors 68020

wait - iphone doesn't rotate when you have the phone upside down like ipad does!?

17. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

I see where you're coming from, but nope....it doesn't rotate like iPad.

18. solodogg macrumors 6502

maybe the same question you should be asking yourself about why you are spending another $50 for a highly inefficient wireless charger when your phone came with a perfectly decent one?

Common sense still lives, but whining appears to be on the rise. Either the device does what you need it to do, and you live your life, or you find something else that does. I cannot imagine that many manufacturers are jumping at the chance to design something that 0.0001% of the iPhone 8 users would consider a necessity, it's just flat ass not profitable.

19. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

[​IMG]

Care to explain to me how I charge and listen to music at the same time? (Apart from buying an overpriced Belkin splitter, or some cheap Chinese splitter with a DAC that sounds dreadful).

I bought the iPhone 8 as I have a wireless charger in my car. It's also very practical when I just want to plonk my iPhone on a stand while I'm at my desk and keep it topped up. I don't want to buy another set of headphones. I don't want to buy an overpriced splitter. I would like to charge my phone on a wireless charger stand, and be able to plug in my very lovely B&W P5 S2's into my phone using the supplied DAC from Apple.

I asked for a solution. I've been told there are "plenty" of stands that fit my criteria but Amazon is clearly censoring my views as I can't for the life of me find any.

More to the point, it comes down to if you have nothing useful to say, don't say it at all.

If anyone could please let me know of the type of solution I need, do tell and provide a link!

20. solodogg macrumors 6502

You answered your own question, but don't want the answer? You bought overpriced headphones for using on an iPhone (sorry, but those would be much better suited to an external DAC and a real receiver), and I'm sure you purchased an overpriced wireless charging stand, but when that doesn't fit your needs you refuse to purchase an overpriced splitter that does exactly what you need? Then you come on a message forum complaining that nobody makes exactly what you want...(insert same bang head gif)

touché

21. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

You could also go wireless on the headphones with a Bluetooth receiver. Then you wouldn't need to plug in to the lightning connector at all.

22. beanbaguk thread starter macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

--- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    I thought of this, but then you're talking big money for a decent adapter. Also, it's yet another accessory I have to charge...

At this rate, I might even make my own stand using a 3D printer!