Propietary apple DVI (Help)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Capt. Kirk, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Capt. Kirk macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have the older 23' cinema setup with my G5 but it's extremely loud here in the control room. I have my tool room about 25' behind me that I could put in in but I'm not able to find a cable long enough. I need about 25'. My G5 has both the standard dvi and the rounded (apple) plug on the video card.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Background: This machine origionally had some issues with the hard drive motors turning up to warp spead occasionally with a red light appearing on the internal board. Eventually went away and worked fine. Recently I replace both hard drives and it went to racing again... thought that it was the hard drives getting too hot..... I went back to the origional ones and still have the problem.

The machine works fine, just makes lots of noise. I've tried cleaning the fans, and all internal parts. Didn't help....

Any clues???

Kirk
    :confused:

2. frimple macrumors 6502

3. Capt. Kirk thread starter macrumors newbie

G5 question

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough. The monitor has to older propiotary (apple only) rounded DVI cable conection on it. I sure would hate to purchase another monitor when I have a perfectly good 23" cinema monitor.

Thanks for your consideration.

Kirk

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The longest ADC extension cable I can find is 15'.

Not sure if using two would work or not, as you're extending monitor power, DVI signal, USB with the same cable.
    Anyone else have any ideas?

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That's not a DVI cable, it is a Apple Display Connector (ADC) cable The longest one that I can find is 15 feet. I don't think that a 25 foot ADC cable can be made.

Don

6. Capt. Kirk thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac ADC cable issue

Thanks for all of your help. I'm new on this sight as you can see. I may have to set up my protools unit over on the side to get the monitor to reach into the other room with a 15ft cable. Otherwise it means me sending my mac back to have repairs done.

Thanks again,

Kirk

7. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

You can only use these...

http://www.drbottkg.com/prod/ADCExtensionPro.html

http://www.welovemacs.com/0126dvep.html

Hook two together.

8. djjclark macrumors regular

You might try going the other way and build a sound proofing box for the CPU. Insure you have proper ventilation and keep an eye on the temps to make sure the airflow is good enough.