Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myrm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
UK
Hi

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I have a MacBook Pro labtop (Feb 11 model) running Snow Leopard 10.6.7

I cannot get my ZTE MF112 USB Mobile Broadband modem dongle stick (on the 3 UK network) to work with my labtop. The labtop is not recognising the modem as a modem but only as a disk drive. When I try to install the software from the modem it starts to install but then stops because it cannot detect the USB modem.

Oddly enough the labtop recognises my other USB dongle modem which is a K3760 (with Vodafone UK).

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

Last edited:

kirkers

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Belfast, UK
Hi,

I had a similar problem with my new 2011 MBP but found this easy workaround in another forum;

i) Download the updated MF112 drivers from Vodafone here: http://www.business.vodafone.com/si...vity/40_software/software/10_latest/p_mac.jsp
ii) Once you install these your modem is added to your Network Services in System Prefs > Network
iii) If you then connect your dongle and run the "3 connect setup" software it should now be recognised and finish configuration
iv) The Vodafone software files can then be deleted from the Applications folder (do not "uninstall" or you will lose the new drivers too)

(Note: The Vodafone software places an antenna icon in the menu bar. If you wish to remove this, simply change the setting in Vodafone software preferences, BEFORE you delete the software)

Has been working 100% with no issues after this. Good Luck :)

Myrm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
UK
Kirkers.

If you were here in my room right now, I would hug you. :D

When I read your instructions I thought it would never work, but I tried it anyway, and it worked!!!! :eek:

Thank you vary much, Kirkers. You're my new best friend!!! (((HUG))) :D:p

Papa Goose

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
Switzerland
Hi,

I had a similar problem with my new 2011 MBP but found this easy workaround in another forum;

i) Download the updated MF112 drivers from Vodafone here: http://www.business.vodafone.com/si...vity/40_software/software/10_latest/p_mac.jsp
ii) Once you install these your modem is added to your Network Services in System Prefs > Network
iii) If you then connect your dongle and run the "3 connect setup" software it should now be recognised and finish configuration
iv) The Vodafone software files can then be deleted from the Applications folder (do not "uninstall" or you will lose the new drivers too)

(Note: The Vodafone software places an antenna icon in the menu bar. If you wish to remove this, simply change the setting in Vodafone software preferences, BEFORE you delete the software)

That sounds peachy, and it did work but sets it up as Swisscom as I'm in Switzerland, just now. It's set on my wife's windows lappie and when activated goes to the 3 screen, but it's a new install on my MacBook and as I'm doing it in CH does not give 3 as a network provider. It also put a bunch of things in Network, will that be an issue, as really the 3 thing will only be an occassional thing for me when I'm back in Blighty.

I'm still getting to grips with my Mac stuff, so be gentle with an replies;)

Manodh

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Hello Kirkers, Sorry to sound like an idiot...

... but I tried downloading the software on the first page of the Vodaphone website as in your message, and still the same problem. MF112 still not found.

1)I downloaded the link at the bottom "Vodafone Mobile Broadband Software for Mac v4.05.01.00".

2)installed Vodaphone software on it. (did NOT uninstall or remove any files afterward)

3)Installed "3 Connect" - which was OK

4) Set up assistant is still UNABLE TO FIND DEVICE.

Please help if you can.

BTW: the reason 3 drivers don't work is because the drivers are using old power PC software and needs Rosetta - according to 3 Tech Support. I was asked to install Rosetta and then install the ZTE driver. Still no luck.

Thanks a lot
Manodh

-----------------------

Hi,

Myrm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
UK
BTW: the reason 3 drivers don't work is because the drivers are using old power PC software and needs Rosetta - according to 3 Tech Support. I was asked to install Rosetta and then install the ZTE driver. Still no luck.
It's good to know that 3UK are aware of the proplem and, hopefully, will produce a driver update for us to download. Though when I spoke to them last week about it they denied that there are any incompatibility proplems between the ZTE MF112 and Snow Leopard.

I can't understand why you are still having the proplem despite installing the VF drivers. :(

kirkers

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Belfast, UK
Hi Manodh,

Very strange that you are still having problems even with the new drivers :( this has worked great and without fuss for a number of guys with 2011 MBPs.

This may sound silly or obvious but have you tried the dongle in both USB ports? If not try this first.

The only difference in the steps I took was that I installed "3 Connect" first, tried to run "3 Connect Setup" and when it didn't recognise the dongle, I then installed the Vodafone software on top. I note you did it the other way around. Possibly doing it Vodafone first is causing another conflict.

It looks as though the glich with the 3 driver is remedied when it is overwritten by the updated Vodafone driver (although the other elements of the 3 software are left intact).

Oh and I also disconnected the dongle before installing the Vodafone software.

I suggest that you uninstall both the 3 and Vodafone software/drivers and start again from scratch with the 3 installation first.
Try this and if it still doesn't work, come back as there is another little trick to get you online as long as the dongle is showing in your Network prefs list.

Good luck :)

MalcMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
ZF112 still a problem

I had exactly this prob with a ZF112 3 dongle and a new macbook pro. Very frustrating. 3 were of little help. Thought this patch would crack it and installed the Vodaphone software. However, when this is done, I am unable to install the 3 connect software. The "disk" icon flashes briefly and then disappears - never more to be seen or found again! Of course, the vodaphone software doesn;t see the donlge either (although the drivers do appear in the network config settings!) HELP!!!

Malc

kirkers

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Belfast, UK
Hi MalcMac,

You mention your dongle is ZF112 but the above workaround is for the MF112. If this is not a typo I'm not sure if the new drivers will help, otherwise;

Yeah you need to install the 3 software first. The quick disc icon flash/disappearance happens after the OS realises it is actually a modem.

I assume you installed the 3 software at some point and then removed it? Is the 3 folder still in your Trash? If so, restore it to the applications folder and run "3 Connect Setup".

If not you can go one of two ways here;

1. Uninstall all of the dongle software/drivers and start from scratch (probably best) OR

2. Not ideal, but if the dongle (ZTEUSBModem) is recognised in your network system prefs, simply enter the telephone number as *99# and click connect. That should at least get you online but you will not have the "3 Connect" functionality (although the OSX version is fairly basic anyway).

Manodh

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
3 connection problem half resolved - ZTE configuration error

Hello Kirkers,

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay in replying.

I did try as you suggested, >> First Installed 3 connect >> then installed Vodaphone software.

Afterwards the ZTE Modem was recognised by the 3 setup assistant.
However, at the configuration stage, I get an internal error message from the 3 setup assistant - ERROR 5364.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN. THANK YOU!

PS: I can try custom settings, but have no idea what details I should use for 3 IP address and other network settings.

Thanks and regards,
Manodh

Hi Manodh,

Very strange that you are still having problems even with the new drivers :( this has worked great and without fuss for a number of guys with 2011 MBPs.

This may sound silly or obvious but have you tried the dongle in both USB ports? If not try this first.

The only difference in the steps I took was that I installed "3 Connect" first, tried to run "3 Connect Setup" and when it didn't recognise the dongle, I then installed the Vodafone software on top. I note you did it the other way around. Possibly doing it Vodafone first is causing another conflict.

It looks as though the glich with the 3 driver is remedied when it is overwritten by the updated Vodafone driver (although the other elements of the 3 software are left intact).

Oh and I also disconnected the dongle before installing the Vodafone software.

I suggest that you uninstall both the 3 and Vodafone software/drivers and start again from scratch with the 3 installation first.
Try this and if it still doesn't work, come back as there is another little trick to get you online as long as the dongle is showing in your Network prefs list.

Good luck :)

HDPMS

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
3 Support spot on

After faffing about with the Vodafone thing and various internet forums, I rang Three. They told me to go to http://www.three.co.uk/macos which redirects to http://bit.ly/nBU3kR which basically is about "I'm using Mac OS X 10.7, do I need to update my software?" and contains links to download drivers for Huawei and ZTE modems. Downloaded and worked first time. Fabulous.

So for OS X Lion working with Three ZTE Mobile Broadband dongles check it out.

Well done Three.

flummper

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
I couldn't quite work out what to do to get my new mac to see my MF112 so I rang three yesterday. Just to make things clear. Three will direct you to the ZTE MF627 drivers. Apparently they work ok for the MF112 dongle too.

Dominic

Kimla10

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Manchester
3 Dongle w OS 10.7

For anyone with Macbook pro w 3 UK dongle issues: i went on a forum and clicked on a zip file for huawai it downloaded a sotware called Mobile Partner. i downloaded this Mobile Partner, it found 3 UK and i clicked Connect, then went on Safari and i can't believe it but i am on net now!!!
3 UK Mac customers, that is essential: https://image.telmore.dk/guides_dk/huawei/Mac/lion/huaweilionupdate.zip

FYI

Kim Johnson :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.