Proposal For A new moderation system

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Compile 'em all, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I have noticed in the last couple of months that the quality of the posts have gone done the drain on the forums. There are threads that are literally full of pages of posts a la "LOL" and "You are an idiot".

This has many reasons including Apple expanding its product line (i.e an increase in number of members), people not reading the guidlines (this is the internet, no one reads wikis), or just because posters/new comers don't care.

I came up with a few things that will help cut down on useless posts and definitely improve the quality of posts. So here they go:

• Posting Guildlines and rules must be made a sticky IN every subforum. And displayed in a distinct way, that people browsing a forum can immediately notice it.
    • Introducing a banning and probation system. Posters violating posting guildines will be banned for 24hrs/48hrs/1 week depending on the kind of violation. This will make posters think twice before posting something.
    • Posts violating posting guildines must not be deleted (read: not evaporate). Instead, the offending post text is replaced with something like "Post removed for violating such and such rule. User banned for 48 hrs" in Bold and in large font. Not just using the "edit reason" field. This helps accomplish two things. The offender will immediately see what he did wrong (instead of wondering around looking for his missing post). Second, other posters on the thread will immediately notice/know what he did wrong, and take extra caution not to do the same.
    • More strict posting guidlines. Posts like "LOL" or "hahaha" warrants an instant ban.
    • Guildlines should include forum-specific rules. For example, in the picture gallery forum quoting full pictures just to say "cool setup" should lead to an instant ban.

By the way, such a system is already implemented in some other forums (which make use of vBulletin too) and it is working extremely well.

I understand that it might need a bit of work, but the number of members is increasing rapidly, and I find myself less and less eager to read through 20-page threads of nothingness.

Thank you for your consideration :)

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Good idea. That ought to suck whatever life is left in the forums right out.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

There already is one.
    In Time-out : For temporary bans
    Banned : For permanent ones.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Even then people still won't read them.

This has already been in place for a long time on these forums.

This creates a huge amount of extra work for the moderators. If people are thatcurious as to why their post was deleted they can check the rules and work it out for themselves. I think the mods already do a pretty good job at letting people know the reasons for their actions.

A little extreme, no?

I understand where you're coming from, but whenever these kinds of issues are raised the same solution always seems to resurface - help the mods out by reporting posts.

5. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Post removed for violating the following rule: Not living up to Compile 'em all's standards.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is this bannable? ;)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In all seriousness, forums mimic the real world. Some of it we like or dislike. Sometimes I like to read 20 pages of nothingness. One man's or woman's nothingness is another's somethingness.

9. Queso macrumors G4

If calling me an idiot were, it'd get pretty lonely in here :p

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This site has already employed some ruthless repressive moderators in the last few months. If the Soviet Union were to have a message board, this site would be it.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really? If so, sign me up for the USSR!
    :rolleyes:

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, someone has issues. If this forum is so repressive, why are you here?

Did one of the ruthless, repressive moderators ask to see your receipt as you left the store? :rolleyes:

14. shecky Guest

shecky

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This is definitely going to be one of the more interesting threads.

I think that the moderation system does need a little tweaking to handle new members and the banning system.

Then again I expect degradation from older members into image board antics.

16. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Those 6502ers :rolleyes: *tchoh*. Get an avatar and think they can change everything. Just join the police force or, better still, apply to become a prison guard. In China.

Oh, and *LOL*.

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I rarely am anymore.

18. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Hey MD, where you hanging around these days instead?

19. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

That was informative. Thanks.

Anyway, As I said before the system I proposed is employed by several other forums and works pretty drat well. I have no intentions of turning the forum into an oppressive regime :), just making rules/mod actions a bit more visible to posters might help improve some aspects of the forum.

20. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Never knock career advice.

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

This idea is obviously not being well received, and I doubt anyone sees anything productive coming from this thread. Compile, I think you'd do well to drop the issue. And for the mods, it probably wouldn't hurt to close the thread. See that? I didn't even say anyone should be banned... Let the record show that I'm lenient, caring, and forgiving. :p

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We're always reviewing the way moderating works but let's review the site rules:

My emphasis.

Some crave a strong whip-hand, some obviously don't. I think we have the balance right, particularly when measured against how many moderators tend to be online at the same time.

We already have a banning and probation system, and are occasionally told that we're being too tough. There is no pleasing everyone.

Fact is, if you see stuff like that, report it instead of complaining about it. We all have to take an interest in maintaining our community standards and we, as mods, can't see everything that goes on.

23. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Okay. will do. thanks for the reply :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.