Proposed sticky about the Windows ads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by zephead, Feb 1, 2008.

1. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I think there should be a sticky at the top of this forum explaining why there are Windows ads on a Mac site such as this one. On this page alone, I see WildCowboy has replied to and closed threads from two different posters on this topic. There's also one more which seems to have an actual discussion going on in it.

My point is, couldn't there be a sticky explaining the reason for the MS/Windows ads and then be done with it? It would certainly save some time and posts.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We don't mind answering the same question now and then, but you are correct that this one comes up often.

We could address that question in a sticky thread, in the FAQ, and/or in the Mac Guides section you see at the top of this forum. The question is, in which of these would the people who ask this question be likely to see it? And what other questions come up often enough that we ought to answer them in advance too?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. zephead thread starter macrumors 68000

zephead

I think a sticky would be the best option because it's right there at the top of the forum, along with the avatar sticky. That way, it's right there staring you in the face when you open the forum and there's no need to search for it in the guides or the FAQ.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

But people don't read them .. And always think that 'threads on the subject' doesn't solve their problem so they decide to create a new thread. :rolleyes:

Do people really read this thing?? ..

It's really handy too.. :cool:

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

In a way, M$ is supporting for a forum that bashes them. I like it.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The reason you sometimes see Windows ads is covered in the FAQ.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think that's the best method.

Instead of cluttering the forums with too many stickies, this question can be quickly and easily answered with a simple link like the one above (and then, the thread could probably be closed).