Props to Apple (13" MBP issue)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddeadserious, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I have spent the last 3 days calling my local(1 hr away) Apple Store multiple times a day to see if they have the 13" MBP in yet.

Today, they got them in, so after work, I went out there to buy one.

Bought one(even though they didn't have them on display yet, and the store was packed).

Brought it home(1 hr), opened it, and noticed a significant dent in the bottom plate the second that I pulled it out of the plastic sleeve.

Damnit.

Called Apple, hoping that they would just agree to send me a new bottom plate and I could take care of it myself, but the rep told me that they can't just send out parts like that.

So they told me to pack everything back up how it was and go to my Apple store and they'd likely replace the whole unit for me on the spot(unless I wanted this particular unit repaired).

So... here I have a brand new 13" UMBP sitting here unused. Man, it is tempting just to ignore it and carry on with my wonderful new computer, but it bothers me, and for a brand new computer, it ought not to have a dent in it.

But props to Apple to not blaming the problem on me, and being very willing to fix the problem.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

To be honest, I'd be surprised if they did blame the dent on you, considering how you only bought it earlier in the day...

3. nuncupatory macrumors member

Not only that, but if later on down the road you have a problem with the computer, Apple may claim that you dented the computer and refuse to repair it under the standard 1-year warranty. Anyway, looks like you'll have to wait a little longer to enjoy your new new MBP.

4. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Good point, I'm glad I decided to return it.

I called off work to go to the Apple Store first thing(among other reasons).:D

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Get it replaced. It is NEW, it should look NEW too. That means New ≠ Dents. :p

6. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

My local Apple store rep tried to blame every single minor problem on me before they took it back. I'm glad Apple's going to fix the OP's laptop. Hopefully the one they replace it with won't have another dent.

7. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I'm going in first thing in the morning, so the store shouldn't be crowded, and I will just open it up there just to confirm.

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Considering your username, can you blame them really? :p

9. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Haha

10. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Just wanted to update this from my new, undented Macbook Pro.

They thought about giving me trouble.. "Well your call wasn't logged, this is an exception, my manager said..." but in the end, I didn't have to do any arguing, I think they just wanted to make it clear this isn't something they do all the time for no reason.

I'm pleased, thanks Apple.