ProRes 422 in Premiere CS5.5?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Sep 9, 2011.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Hey guys,

I have just jumped on the Premiere Pro CS5.5 trial so as to see if it’s a viable alternative for me instead of FCP X plus I wanted to try out the ease of taking the clips back and forth in After Effects.

I have switched my shortcuts around and have exported an XML from final cut from a little personal project I am working on.

After exporting it into Premiere above the timeline is all yellow apart from a few clips that are red and playback is choppy.

I realise that ProRes 422 (Which the clips are) is Apple’s codec and therefore might not play nice with Premiere but I was wondering what I am meant to do in this situation as I don’t want to have to transcode all the clips again!

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Premiere Pro works with ProRes from my experience but I have read problems on the internet.
    How did you get the codecs in your current system?
    Was it an original FCS install then FCPX then Adobe CS 5.5?
    Thats my set-up and that works however ProRes had a year on this system to play in without any problems.
    I've also used RED REDCineX to conver R3D to ProRes 4444 and to date no problems.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

1. I think this is answering the question you ask. The files are from my DSLR and were converted to ProRes422 in MPEG Streamclip.

2. I have gone from FCS3 (FCP7) and a complete sequence to export the XML and import into the Premiere CS5.5 trial. I had to render the sequence but I don’t understand why is it not a native codec for premiere? FCP X has not been opened for about a month!

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Havent converted from MPEG Streamclip in a long time.
    Im wondering if you ran into that dreaded QT legacy problem crap.

As far as using the FCP to CS round trip, Im outta the loop with that.
    I have my own demons with Avid MC to Resolve and to whatever to deal with :(

5. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

It should work fine. What kind of system do you have? CPU/RAM, etc.

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Mac Pro 2009
    2.66ghz Quad
    3gb Ram.

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

3GB RAM don't seem to be a lot. Does your playback get better when you render your footage?

8. shorafix macrumors member

So does that mean you are using the trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5? In contrast to the full-version it comes only with little support for codecs such as DV.

I have converted some projects from FCP 7 to CS5.5 and didn't notice any problems with ProRes clips (originally transcoded from HDV and AVCHD cams) in Premiere.

9. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

shorafix,
    The trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5 functions precisely as the full version with all codecs supported. Earlier trial versions didn't include a lot of video codecs, though.

Your system's underpowered with only 3GB of RAM. It takes more RAM to run a 64bit application like Premiere Pro.

10. shorafix macrumors member

That sounds reasonable to me: my system (MacPro Mid 2010) is equipped with 20 GB of RAM and it works nicely with Premiere CS5.5 and various codecs. However, I also do have installed a NVIDIA GPU with CUDA/Mercury engine support. I noticed, when using the original ATI only, the timeline was yellow (requiring rendering) as well at least with AVCHD. Perhaps the TS should check his GPU as well.

11. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Interesting. A qualified GPU for the Mercury Playback Engine (Hardware) would certainly be helpful. By the way, you don't have to render clips with the yellow render bar over them. Check out this blog post for details: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

12. shorafix macrumors member

That's absolutely true. However, the yellow bar indicates the GPU has got a lot to do, in order to render each single frame during play back. Choppy playback and/or dropped frames may be the result as long as your CPU isn't powerful enough. As soon as you add any transitions or filters, the yellow bar turns to red...

By the way, RAM is definitely an issue here as well: if you don't have enough RAM, the Mac will need to use disk storage instead. In this case it won't be able to render each single frame during playback even with the most powerful CPU.

My five cents:
    1. the TS should first hand upgrade his RAM to 8 GB.

2. Then he should check if his budget allows him to buy a certified NVIDIA GPU. NVIDIAs Quadro 4000 will probably be the best deal available for the Mac at this time.
    Alternativeley, if he doesn't need Encore he may sell Premiere CS5.5 and go for FCP X with Grand Central Dispatch support.

13. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

RAM is definitely on my todo list. However, I am going away to uni after a long summer at home and can't take my Mac Pro with me so I may wait till christmas and the way I see it at the moment the price can only go down.

I was a sucker and bought into FCP X and whilst I really like some aspects of it I can't use it as quickly and easily as FCP 7 or premiere.

14. mBox macrumors 68020

Well dont give up to easily, if that was the case we'd all have given up on any pro apps. Yes its a pro app cause some of us make money on it :) Learn em all if you can. If you dont have to, then no worries.

15. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Can never hurt to learn more than one NLE, that's for sure.

16. mBox macrumors 68020

Same goes with 3D for me ;) Motion design not so much. I love After Effects (even thought its freakin buggy) and tried Motion. That one dont cut it. I used to use all the other options even Shake and I find AE to have all the tools. Now NLE, I think its good to know more than one since you can be hired on to fix other messes in different situations. Ive had to fix projects from Avid, Media100, PPro to FCP in my long dog years :p