Pros and cons of downgrading?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Klae17, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Can someone help me decide... I'm trying to think of the pros and cons from selling my 15 inch retina mid 2012 Base model for a 13 retina 2014. Price isn't an issue, I'm getting the 256 model.

Pros:

Newer model
    New warranty
    8 gb ram
    Smaller footprint
    Lighter

Cons:

No discrete graphics
    Smaller screen
    Only two cores

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

1. How do you use your computer?

2. What programs do you need to run?

3. Why are you considering downgrading?

Personally I prefer the 13" rMBP because it's more portable than the 15" rMBP, but the screen is nicer than the MBA.

*edit* the new 13" rMBP will also have better battery life than your 15".

3. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

1. On the go word processing, photoshop, writing, lightroom, I'm a photographer and I like the screen real estate but retina resizing does help a lot.

2. Stated above.

3. I do not have warranty on the 15 inch anymore. I also will get a $150 statement credit from AMEX for purchasing this machine. The bonus is AMEX adds another year of warranty to the computer, extending my usage.

Other: I have an iPad Air that I use for certain things like videos, netflix, gaming, and reading.

Am I pretty close to the pros and cons or is there more (besides the battery like you said)?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If screen size isn't going to be an issue(which I question due to the fact that you're a photographer), I'd go with the 13" rMBP. They're great computers.

5. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

I can always hook up to my two monitors, right? Is it powerful enough to push both and does it have an HDMI port plus thunderbolt? Thank you!

6. leman macrumors 604

That shouldn't be an issue. Hoverer, you should keep in mind that performance in Photoshop is likely to be significantly reduced for complex processing.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the 13" is too small for the tasks you mentioned. I had a 13" MBP and found the screen size too limiting.

I think what you have is fine and should stick with it.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

1 hdmi and 2 thunderbolt ports.
    It is easily powerfull enough to push two 4k screens.

It boils down to 13" vs 15" and your workflow as a photographer. Noone can answer the OP for you except you yourself.

I don't understand you "pro" for the 13" in regards to 8gb ram. Your 2012 rmbp should have at least 8gb as well.

9. kfmfe04 macrumors member

I agree with maflynn, but for slightly different reasons.

mba + slightly older 15" rmbp combination seems to make more sense than mba + new 13" rmbp for most situations.

10. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Did you have the Retina or the regular?

My bad!

I don't have a MBA, I do have an iPad Air though.

11. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I had a really nice 2011 15" MBP with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD; I sold it for a high-end 13" retina MacBook Pro. Now I wish I had the 15" back!

The dual core tends to choke on multi-layer CC Photoshop, InDesign and Audition projects. The UI lag is noticeable. My conclusion is that the processor is pushing out to all the pixels in the lovely display and doesn't have a lot of power left over for anything else.

Otherwise, the rMBP is a jewel ... but under heavy use, the dual-core limitations really show themselves. My 11" i7 MBA runs CC apps more smoothly than the retina.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went from the 13" non retina (it wasn't out then) to a 2012 rMPB. I don't think the retina makes much of a difference though. If you run it at the native (highest resolution) then the text is so tiny its nearly unreadable.

The weight difference imo is negligible so I'd say keep what you have. You're giving up on a better GPU, quad core CPU and larger display. Not worth the downgrade.

13. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

This...I'd almost recommend that you try a new 13" Air. No extra CPU/GPU overhead pushing a massive retina display and the same 1440x900 resolution as the standard res on the 15" rMBP. Standard "retina" res on the 13" rMBP is even lower. Sure you can scale it, but then you're introducing even more screen lag.

I've had a loaded 15" MBP since the first model came out. Upgrade almost every cycle. Moved to a 2012 13" MBA for the first time and I haven't gone back. Had my 2013 loaded MBA since release now and while I always poke around with the rMBPs at the store, I've never been able to give it up (even bought two loaded 15 rMBPs...2013 and 2014 model). Took them back. Couldn't give up the MBA. :eek: