Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
One con is that if you ever need warranty service and they replace it, you'll get a refurb without the engraving. So just don't be too attached to the engraving. I've never gotten any of mine engraved, but my mother did as a present, and was upset when they replaced it when it died with one without the engraving.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Pros: You have an engraved iPod, unique and cherished.

Cons: You have an engraved iPod, tacky and embarrassing. Far harder to sell for a good price later.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
One con is that if you ever need warranty service and they replace it, you'll get a refurb without the engraving. So just don't be too attached to the engraving. I've never gotten any of mine engraved, but my mother did as a present, and was upset when they replaced it when it died with one without the engraving.

I am surprised they did not give you the engarving. I just know Applecare took care of a nano of my friend's and it came back engraved.

Pros: It's always going to be yours and it may be fun for 10 minutes.
Cons: It's like personalized license plates. You run the risk it whatever it says being stupid as **** next year. To resell would jack your selling price down as Blue said. And finally, if you buy a case it'll most likely be one that doesn't let others see the engraving.

Me: I have a 60gb 5th gen not engraved and a 4gb Red Nano 2nd gen engraved. It was engraved with 150 11-11-06. It is a number and date that is significantly important to me. I will most likely never sell the nano, actually, I'll never sell it because it was bought for a reason other than what most would think and it was engraved with that very reason. If that makes sense. I have a clear case, no one has really seen it, I work out with it and such. I wouldn't get my everyday iPod engraved though for the cons listed above.

spikeyjac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
No Sure Just thinking something along the lines of Jacks Ipod
not sure tho

Tim117

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
BC Canada
On the back of my Nano it says

Tim Wheaton (my name)
is Awesome

Since everyone around me is 15 they all think that's pretty cool.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I am surprised they did not give you the engarving. I just know Applecare took care of a nano of my friend's and it came back engraved.

Probably depends on how you get service. I, and she, have always walked into an Apple store, plopped down the iPod, and walked out 5 minutes later with a refurb. Clearly if you send it in via mail and wait however long that takes they have the ability to engrave it again. But I don't think the Apple geniuses will be engraving in the back room any time soon ;)

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I never sell my iPods so I don't see any cons. But I do see the pros of having it engraved. On my iPod I have engraved on it "Don't Steal Music, please return this iPod to [phone number]"

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
When it's engraved, it's so hard to sell. It makes it worth a significant amount less. But if you are going to get it engraved, make it something worthwhile and personal that won't be blown away with future trends.

My favorite engraving that I've seen:

Bomb Installed:
Steal at your own risk!​

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
When it's engraved, it's so hard to sell. It makes it worth a significant amount less. But if you are going to get it engraved, make it something worthwhile and personal that won't be blown away with future trends.

My favorite engraving that I've seen:

Bomb Installed:
Steal at your own risk!​

lmao, post of the day forsure!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.