Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
I have query that I need help with.

Should I erase my XP partition (everything will be backed up) and install Vista?

The reason is because I am doubtful of Vista's ability to perform. I have heard that it spends nearly half the time running indexing, and there are some un-optimized functions. I believe it's just XP with a new GUI.

Any help is most appreciated!

Steve

Retired
May 16, 2006
Do you have any programs you NEED to be compatible? If so, I say wait until more problems are ironed out :)

I'm assuming that you have already (/ can for free) obtained Vista, and so cost is not an issue.

You have good hardware with a large amount of RAM, so Vista should run fine.

As a personal preference I would turn off transparency, as it is just plain irritating after a very short while.

It does have a few advantages over XP, especially if it is not your primary OS, and feels more refined look-wise...

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
If you have a perfectly good Windows XP installation, I wouldn't bother, for the time being at least. If it ever goes sour, then install Vista. Vista is perfectly capable as an operating system, it's just that it doesn't offer much that XP doesn't already offer. A pretty GUI, DirectX 10, a little more security, and that's about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.