Pro's and Con's of Managed verses Referenced in Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Jan 31, 2011.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

I am utilizing managed files in Aperture 3. I have backup copies on external drives but I can only view the images on the external drive if the computer I am using has aperture loaded. Is this right or am I doing something wrong? My workflow is to copy the previous year, ie 2010, onto (2) external harddrive's, one kept offsite. Then sometime in the first part of year 2011 delete that archived year from Aperture, once I am not referencing frequently. This keeps aperture running smoothly and fast. Is managed preferred over referenced when using Aperture 3 or vise-versa?

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

It all depends on the amount of photos and personal preference. There is no best way just what works best for you.

3. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Viewing a managed library is best through Aperture, however it is possible via the Finder. (Right-click on library/vault>Show Package Contents>Masters>Year...) Keep in mind that, worst case, you will require a Mac to view your images unless your files are on a FAT32 or exFAT drive, so keeping an install of Aperture on the drive so that it can be installed on a new computer is a good idea. BTW, I use multiple managed libraries for my Aperture libraries.

What I do is move all of my 2010 work images to a new separate library called "Archive YEAR" which is stored locally and off-site as a vault. Then if I ever need a image, it's handy but not bogging down my current Aperture library with 100GB of images.

Hope this helps.

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Personally, I always use referenced files- that way a glitch will affect only one file, not all of them. I'm not sure how the Aperture database looks these days, but early on there were a few reports of corruption affecting the entire thing- granted backups should take care of that, but referenced files allow the use of other tools easily- and they don't have to be Aperture-aware tools, so I really don't see a downside to using referenced files, but I can see some for managed files.

YMMV.

Paul