Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Pinkstiletto66, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Hi. I'm new to the iPhone world and I would like to know exactly what are the possible things that can happen if you jailbreak an iPhone 4 incorrectly ( if that is possible?) I know one of the pros is that you're able to download apps that are not in the app store, but what else is there? If someone is patient enough I'd like all the information that you can possibly give. My app needs are rather simple and I've managed to find most of The free apps that is in the app store to be efficient. I'm mainly interested in using swype. Also, Is it safe to jailbreak a phone?

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

It is impossible to software break an iphone. You can always restore.

edit: Well maybe not impossible. But you won't encounter it.

3. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have to use a different operating system?

4. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Jailbreaking your iPhone is available for Windows and Mac.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

read the stickies at the top of this section they are filled with info like this and the basics that's why they were made stickies. ;)

6. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

google is awesome!

8. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed. I guess what I really wanted to know was the issues or lack of after jailbreaking a phone. Online might show you how, but I don't really hear the downside, etc.

9. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

because specific cases aside they're really not that much issues with jailbreaking :)

10. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice. Hmm. I'm getting more and more curious. Is it a long process? One hour/ one day? Do you know?

11. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

You need to read more. it takes all of 3 mins?

12. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes it is.
    This question has been asked a million times over the past 4 years.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You need to start reading the posts in this forum first to get a feel for jb. You'll see plenty of posts of people who didn't exercise any common sense and screwed up their jb. Read about these mistakes and what people used to help them solve it.
    Don't be one of those lazy, non-critical thinkers. You're less likely to get help that way.

15. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will check them out. I just needed to see if is worth it. I'm going to hold off for a minute. Tx though.

16. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I've jailbroken every iPhone since the original. I have yet to encounter a problem or anything negative as a result of jailbreaking. My first iPhone 4 was hardware defective. I restored it, returned it to Apple for a replacement, no problem. Since you can always restore to factory firmware, there is very little to no downside to jailbreaking. The US Gov't ruled jailbreaking legal, so there's no problem there. Apple will void your warranty, but since it can be restored, it would be pretty dumb to return a jailbroken iPhone to Apple without first restoring it.

Any problems you may encounter will be a result of any apps you install. The jailbreaking process simply opens your iPhone up to other apps available in Cydia and other repos. Cydia is stable, but some apps may not be. Note that not all apps in the AppStore are stable either.

The advantage of jailbreaking for me has been apps such as MyWi, 3G Unrestrictor and iBlacklist. Apple does not allow these apps in the AppStore yet they are extremely useful to me. Others have different favorites.

There is one disadvantage, currently, jailbreaking will make your iPhone less secure. First thing to do is to change the default password of 'alpine' to something unique. Keep an eye out for 'antid0te', an enhanced security jailbreaking tool that will let your jailbroken iPhone have security on par with stock Apple firmware. Release date is unknown, but it is rumored to be at about the same time as the untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak.

17. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks cinemagic. I'm going to look into the programs you just stated. Do you mind if I add you as a friend and contact you if I decide to jailbrake you and need some assistance?