Pros & Cons 13" screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SoCalRich, Mar 31, 2010.

1. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I did a search for this info and got - index post,postdelta: syntax error, unexpected $end near ''

So I decided to post.

What are the pro's & cons of the MBP 13" screen other then the size and lack of anti glare?

I'm thinking about the MBP 13" because it would be great to use in the field for my photography.

2. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

Pros: It doesn't have those devilish external speakers which I depise of, Clear Compact Screen, Easy for traveling/portable, etc.

Cons: Some people just have to have a bigger screen, If using for heavy photoshop/big screen requiring programs this is not the size you want.

3. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Thanks, at home I can always plug in a monitor when needed. I know the resolution isn't as good as the 15" or 17"

I have a 6 yro 17" PB. I love the screen size but it is too slow and the newest photoshop revs won't run on it. I need to do something...

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I got the 13" one, its too small for anything other than a little bit of web browsing, waiting for new MBP so can get a bigger screen. The main reason i don't use the mac much is because the screen far too small

5. Quetsche macrumors member

In the current models, the 13" doesn't have a discrete GPU.

6. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Pros:
    Easy on the back.
    Saves you $$$ you can spend on a monitor for home use.

Cons:
    Lack of screen real estate which can be improved somewhat with spaces.
    Lacks graphics horsepower for very heavy lifting.

Personally, I'm glad I went with the 13". It works well for me, especially since I don't travel much and about 95% of the time it's hooked up to an external 24" monitor which isn't lacking in real estate :)

Cheers,

7. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

In your line of work being out in the field in all types of lighting conditions you need the matte opted 15" bad boy pro. Just like me.

8. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

I don't understand the spaces argument.. how do multiple desktops-views provide more screen real estate? spaces lets you "organize" your screens better, but that's about it.

I don't see a real use in spaces anyway. If I want to focus on 'something', I can easily hide all other windows and I don't have to switch between multiple spaces, which is, from my point of view, annoying. moreover, there are several "bugs" when using spaces..

9. bluetick macrumors member

There are hopes Apple will increase screen res in 13" model. This makes low-end MBPs even more attractive :)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The decision for the 13" MBP is really dependent on your needs.

For instance, if you'll be using PS on it (w/o an external monitor) you may find the small screen a bit cramped. Over all, the 13" is a great choice, the 9400m GPU is pretty powerful. I have a 15" MBP and found that I'm on the 9400m the majority of time. If I had known this, I probably would have purchased the 13" model myself.

Here's the cons of the 13"
    Only integrated GPU (as I mentioned though its not really a con)
    Glossy only - the 15" model has the option of going matte.
    Smaller screen real estate - prohibitive to working on some applications like photoshop.

Pros
    Smaller form factor
    costs less then the 15" model
    more portable

11. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

I'm still debating either 13" or 15", I had xps 13" and at times it did feel too small, I don't want to have monitor, requires dedicated spase which I don't want. I do like how the 13" just looks more cleaner, those speakers on both side of 15" are little out of place :confused:

12. StopSign24 macrumors regular

I bought a Macbook for portability, which is why I bought the 13". It's the perfect size for carrying around the house or to class without much hassle.

There isn't much screen real-estate, but I still manage to do work in Photoshop and After Effects just fine. I just recently bought a 23" 1080p monitor which helped a lot with this problem though. If I had to do it again, I'd still buy the 13" and just use the extra monitor when I need more room.

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Pros

portability; same size keyboard and trackpad as larger models; huge price difference; 9400m is enough for 99% of the time;

Cons

no matte option; will want a large external display; no discrete graphics option; no option for a high end CPU;

if you are considering the current 13" MacBook Pro skip the upgraded version. the extra 270 MHz, extra 2 GB; and extra HDD space is not worth $300.

14. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I had a 15" windows computer, but decided to get the 13" MBP because of portability issues. I can honestly say i will never get a computer bigger than this. My 13" is the best computer i have ever used. For me, its the perfect mix between power and portability.

15. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Thanks everyone...

Thanks... I will plug in a monitor at home. I'm not using a note book outside of my home yet... Just thinking about it...

r u you going with the MBP 17"?

THAT's a BIGGIE....

Thanks for your input...

I'm retired but the lack of a matte screen is a biggie. My 17" has that now and I know I would miss it.

I don't use spaces either. I just maximize the window I'm working on.

That's what I'm hoping as well... maybe with a matte option?

All good points... Thanks...

Thanks for your input...

This is good to know... Now all I would want is a discrete and matte screen.

Thanks for your input... I was wondering about the real difference between the upgraded processor. I can always add ram myself.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments... I rerally appreciate it...

16. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have been looking for a 13 inch laptop but, so far, nothing I have seen will work for me. I eliminated the 13 inch MBP from consideration because of its (relatively) poor graphics and weight, 4.5 pounds. I love the MBA and would have already bought one but for its limited 2Gb of RAM. I need to run Windows in a virtual machine and OS X but have learned that 2Gb of RAM is insufficient for me to do it in a way that is satisfactory. The new Sony Vaio Z looks terrific. It has a fast processor, killer graphics, and weighs only about 3 pounds. Alas, it can't conveniently run OS X, so that ends the inquiry for me.

I appear not to be the only prospective buyer who can't find anything in the present crop of laptops to satisfy his requirements. Unfortunately, there is no telling when Apple will finally update its laptop lineup.

17. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

I have a 15" MBP and am patiently waiting for the new 13" MBPs to drop so I can pull the trigger. While I was a matte lover at first, the glossy screens have grown on me. I don't think it'll be a problem.

Just make sure to wait for the refresh that way your MBP is better than Shambo's - finally put the "future proofing" argument to rest (albeit, it'll be a shame to lose the fine looking mug featured in his signature.) I'm tempted to buy one myself...

Attached Files:

18. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I have a 13". I like it because it's small and easy to carry around. Sometimes at my desk I wish the display was bigger, but I can always just use an external.

19. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

Here's my two cents...

13" is very portable, great for day to day use and the casual laptop user or heavy traveler.

15" is great for those looking for a nice size screen and still the ability to be portable.

17" good for heavy user and someone who is not going to travel too much. Great for those who want a big screen, etc.

So in short:

13" Pros: lighter weight, smaller, more compact, great for travel.
    Cons: not as much of a power user machine, built more for casual users. Also specs are overall low without upgrades.

20. John Kotches macrumors 6502

It's the "competition" aspect, and the "thought" that it gives you more usable screen real estate. Of course it doesn't but some people think that way.

It's organizational for me... I throw various things in various spaces and that makes it a lot easier for me. As an example I have my browser sessions in a space called "Web"... My Parallels stuff is in a space called "Virtuals" etc. Makes life a lot easier for me.

It works, but it doesn't make the actual screen real estate any different.

21. John Kotches macrumors 6502

You left out the cons that the price rises dramatically with the screen size.
    13" @ 1199-1499.
    15" @ 1699-2299
    17" @ 2499

Big price jumps. The differential between the "high-end" 13 and the low-end 15 can buy a 23 or 24" external monitor.

That said, if the travel screen real estate matters, the 13" probably won't cut it. For me, it's livable for the little I do travel.

22. Labaguette macrumors regular

also, please do NOT forget that the current 15" MBP has the worst screen of the current MBPs (IMHO). it always feels a bit blurry to me, compared to the 13" or 17" MBP.

the 13" has 1975 pixel/cm^2
    the 15" only has 1872 pixel/cm^2

23. marclondon macrumors regular

I find the screen of the 13 inch its only major weak point, at least for text - I find the resolution poor and the OSX font rendering doesn't help much on any setting.

24. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I've found the opposite and really like Spaces. It's ideal for apps that need all of your screen because they have lots of palettes or separate windows (eg Logic, Final cut, Photoshop to name a few). Using the control + number keys I find it very quick to flip around 4 screens.

It's probably not any better than hiding and unhiding but sometimes I like organising the apps I'm using into separate screens. Personal tastes I guess.

25. ronjon10 macrumors regular

I have a 13" that I use for field photography. I can't recommend it enough if your main purpose is to shoot tethered or otherwise view images in the field.

The 13" is small enough that it fits in my normal camera backpack. The backpack doesn't have a laptop compartment. It just slides in on top of the various compartments. A 15" would be too big for this and I'd have to get a bigger backpack with a dedicated laptop compartment.

While there isn't enough resolution to do any serious work, but the 15" isn't that much better in this regard. The glossy screen will prevent you from doing color corrections on the monitor. The matte film actually works really well if you can get it on there without getting any air bubbles (a challenge indeed).

In the end, I chose portability and a cheaper price. The 2.53 can be had for under 1300 delivered, plus another 35 for the matte film.

The 15" will get you a little more breathing room, a matte option, and slightly less portability.